Linn vs VPI?

I am planning to upgrade my current entry level Music Hall TT. I would like to get either a Linn LP 12 or some of the comparable VPI tables. Used not new.
It apperas to me that VPI is very highly regarded and people are very happy with VPI products. I also understand that Linn is on Stereophile recommended list of components for ever and essentially thes ame but greatly evolved product.

Any insight/first hand experience and tonearm/cartridge recommendadtion is more than welcome.
sancho22
Syntax: I am curious which VPI's in what combination are you referring to that you feel beat a loaded LP12?
I've owned an LP12 for 25 years and it has been through a number of upgrades, most recently six years ago with Cirkus, Lingo, Ekos arm and Akiva cartridge. I like how it sounds, especially the Akiva's ability to quiet the level of surface noise. It's part of a larger home theater system and includes a Clearaudio Balance phono stage, Classé SSP-60 running in balanced bypass for the phono input, Classé CA-5200 amplifier and Revel Performa F-30's. Wires are MIT CVT Terminator running balanced from the Clearaudio into the SSP-60, Transparent Music Link balanced from the SSP-60 to the CA-5200, and Tributaries Bi-Wire from the CA-5200 to the Revels. I wouldn't call this system overly analytic, etched or otherwise in need of taming as Syntax suggests as a good task for an LP12. To my ears it gives a satisfying and musical experience, which I feel is about the most we can hope our systems will do for us. Nonetheless I'm curious what would happen if I mounted the Akiva on a VPI Classic and then plugged that into the system. I don't have the foggiest idea now, but it will be my next adventure to find out. Cheers to all!
I had a Linn LP12 from 1988 or so until 2007 or so, when I compared it to a VPI Scout. I had done all the Linn upgrades, but I liked the Scout better. I sold the Scout when I heard the Amadeus, and that is quite a bit better than both, IMO. And for just $2850. And so I was able to sell the SDS, and Scout, and pocket some cash. Just like when I sold the Linn, and it's power supply, though I can't remember Linn's clever name for it...
Sound keeps going up, price keeps coming down. I like it!