Linn questions for novice.

First of all thanks for a great site! I want to buy a used Linn system, but have some questions. I was thinking of purchasing it all used, right here on Audiogon.com. My understanding of Linn is that all components sound the best if they are Linn. That limits me a little when it comes to for example to speakers. I was thinking of a Majik w/kudos tuner module ($650), a Mimik ($500-600) with a pair of Tucans ($ ? ) This would probably serve me OK, but what about the Keldich (sp?) speakers? ($1,000) I was also thinking, by recommendations from my local Linn dealer, to go with a Genki and a LK 85. Comments? Thank you very much!
morty
I don't buy into the mystique of a "Linn sound" any more than any other brand's sound, or the lore of getting an all-Linn system. Start thinking like that, and it begins to get in the way of honestly evaluating components. Having said that, I've had Linn Sekrits for a few years and just bought a Majik (over Arcam and Acurus competition) to drive them with. (Have a Rega Planar 3 and a mid-fi HK CD player as sources.) The Sekrits are interesting speakers. They're made for on-wall installation (sort of a "lifestyle" arrangement, or as rear speakers), but I have the dedicated floor stands that go with them. The case is of plastic resin and is only about 5" deep. I think most people don't take them seriously as main speakers because of their looks, but they perform very nicely and are incredibly convenient for busy rooms - easy to move if need be, tough as nails, not particularly sensitive to placement. I guess if I have any "lifestyle" requirements at all, those, rather than 'beautiful finish that matches the woodwork in the room', might be it. Haven't heard Tukans, but I would describe Sekrits the same way people describe Tukans -- except I wouldn’t describe the Sekrits as being bass-shy (Linn specs rate Sekrits as having lower bass response). Uncanny how decent the bass is, considering the box has almost no volume. I don’t understand it. The Linn stuff I have sounds “neutral” to me. Is that the Linn sound? Everybody has his own idea of neutral. Nothing seems forced or out of place with the Majik, the clarity and smoothness are impressive. I could see some thinking the sound is thin. There’s a lot of that elusive quality of “life” in the music -- very refreshing. I had extra speaker wire, so bi-wired the Sekrits. To me, it helped with slightly more clarity and definition on top end with resulting more spacious (again, slightly) sound. I like to be skeptical about such things, but was tired from playing with interconnects so didn’t go back and forth to self-validate what I was hearing with biwiring. I just left it bi-wired, since it didn’t cost me anything. Question: Has anyone compared the LK85 and the LK140 amplifiers? Would be interested in comments.
I don't know, if it is good or bad, to have "neutral" system? I find, majority "normal" recordings, to sound "mediocr" at best. I realised that when i bought Karik cd player, that some CD's sound better than other's. I find small, acoustic orchestar, chamber and guitar to sound the best. And large symphonies, even "audiophile" recordings, not so "hot". Linn is definitely on "neutral" side, and is very sensitive to what quality of recording is fed. I rate "audioquest" most appealing, and MFSL differ from Cd to CD. Well...this is another subject...sorry.
I personally feel you can't go too far wrong with LINN gear. I have a Majik/LK100 Combo with K4 speaker wire and LINN interconnects. They work great with my Rotel CD player, although I would like to upgrade to LINN player too. I do not use LINN speakers though. I listened to to them and was not wild about them. Is there anyone else out there who loves LINN gear but not their speakers? I have ProAc One SCs and absolutely love them. I have heard that LINN speakers really only sound right when Aktiv and then they are awesome. What do you all think about LK100 vs. other amps in general and the newer LK series? I have heard some awful reviews on LK100 on web but it sounds so good on my ProAcs that it makes you want to cry. What is up with that? It easily sounds as good or better than a Majik and everyone raves about it!?
Good choice for buying Linn equipment used. Their stuff new is insanely overpriced for the sound you get. I used to own all Linn equipment and have sold all of it. It was very hard to sell for a fair price. I would advise you to listen to something else although the Linn cd12 is the best player under $100'000
If your "hobby" is buying and selling HI-FI gear every 6 months, than you are right SNOOOK! But if you are actualy buying for pleasure of listening music, than you should buy the product that you can personaly audition and, of course afford.