Linn LP12......That good??

I have an Ariston RD80 (very good) and a Thorens TD 160, also very good.
How good are the Linn Lp12 tt's??
I am always looking for the best most impressive sound.
I will have to sell the Ariston/Thorens if i buy the Linn because i will not need 3 turntables!
The Ariston almost looks like the Linn by the way.
So how great are the Linn's and what is the best combination to buy?
Thanks!
x1884
HI X1884.
SINCE YOU MENTIONED "LOOKING FOR THE MOST IMPRESSIVE SOUND" AND THE PURCHASE OF A GOOD PREAMP (KRELL), I WOULD ASSUME YOU HAVE HAVE HIGH GOALS IN YOUR JOURNEY TO HIFI NIRVANA. MY EXPERIENCES ARE SIMILAR TO JAFOX. STARTED THE TRIP WITH VARIOUS THORENS, THEN LINN (CHEAP 500 BUCKS VAHALLA AND THE WHATS THE NAME ARM BETWEEN THE BASIK AND ITTOK)FOR 2 YEARS B4 THE "UPGRADE" BUG STRIKED AGAIN. I SPEND 1 YEAR AUDITIONING THE USD1000-3000 USED MARKET - GOLDMUNDS, BETTER LINNS, IMMEDIAS, VERDIERS AND CAME TO A COMMON CONCLUSION - THE NON SPRING SUSPENDED TABLES HAVE A MUCH BETTER ACCURACY AND BASS ATTACK/EXTENSION/SPEED. IMHO FOR AROUND THE SAME PRICE USED (3000 BUCKS), TRY THE IMMEDIA RPM2, THOUGH RARE, ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO MANUFACTURE AGAIN AT THIS PRICE - COMPLEX DESIGN OF MULTIPLE LAYER OF DIFF MATERIALS, SPLIT BEARING /SPINDLE BUT SIMPLE PLUG AND PLAY - ONCE SET , NEED ZERO MAINTENACE AND BEATS THE NEW FULLY LOADED LINNS (DID SOMEBODY SAY 10,000 BUCKS?)IN ALL ASPECTS. MINE WAS PROBLEM FREE FOR 5 YEARS. IMHO THE LINNS ARE AVERAGE/GOOD ONLY IF BOUGHT CHEAP 2ND HAND. HOPE THIS HELPS.
Hello Dcc, We can hear you just fine. FYI, the 'caps lock' key is located at your left, just above the 'shift' key. Just tap on it once. Then type away. Cheers!
Sorry folks! Thats the result of being tripped out at 1 am still listening but half sleepy. Just to add, I come from a diy background and do appreciate the technical aspects and quality of design/materials used in constructing a good TT. IMHO, the expensive newer linn is using expensive power supplies to "improve" a mediocre toy motor and lightweight platter. The very fact that the newer linns do not have the old bloated bass and colorations implies the defects of the original design - which surprise me why no agoners commented on the "commercially driven recommendation" partnering of linns with "fast" amps like the naims. Again another "solution" to an inherent shortcoming. I got an old garrard 301 and transferred over in the linn arm - despite a bit rough, blew the linn away in attack and authority. Do have fun looking at idler drives. cheers
Thanks for all the responses guys, looks like i touched on an interesting topic!

Right now i have sold the Ariston and am using the TD 160 (slight mods) with a Shure v15 III........and i find it hard to believe that for around $1200 i will get a worthy performance gain......Is it possible the Linn is over rated?

I like the Shure over the Grado red, although the grado is a little quieter but less dynamic.

I wish i could put my turntable up against a Linn just to see the difference.
Nobody has mentioned price.With the $3K cart the Linn system is $10K so it ain't cheap.Again I mentioned that I have a Linn as a second deck which I keep saying I am going to sell but don't.Just not sure of I want to invest in upgrades when other decks like VPI,Blue Note,and otehrs exist.But one urban myth is you have to adjustthem every second play.Even though more susceptible to losing there setting because of being sprung once perolerly set up they do hold the setting for a while.Maybe not like a SME10 but there is a tade off for how you set up the suspension hard onmes will give hard maybe faster paced sound sprung ones have there virtures as well.
Chazz
Chazzbo