Led Zeppelen and Dire Straits Japanese SHM CD's

Has anyone listend to the Led Zeppelen and/or Dire Straits Japenese SHM CD's? They are much more expensive then the recent non-SHM remasters (especially if you buy a complete set). Are the Japanese SHM remasters worth the price?
matjet
matjet
i have all of the led zepp shm's. i don't have the dire straits yet, but i do also have all of the steely dan shm's.
in answer to you question about the lz shm's, yes, they are worth the price. i have a good analog front end as well as a good digital front end. i found that i preferred the shm led zep over the classic vinyl re-issue lp's. i actually sold most of my classic vinyl copies because of that.
Don ( Corby ),

I am glad to hear that since I did take another plunge yesterday and ordered Black Sabbath's "Volume 4" and Uriah Heep's "Demons and Wizards".

Chuck
I have a couple of SACD SHM discs, they sound absolutely outstanding. I believe most, if not all, SHM CD's will eventually be available in SACD SHM, which probably sound better than the CD SHM discs.So, I am hesitant to buy the SHM CD's at this time.
I have to beg everyone's forgiveness for my first answer.

After reading the positive posts, I went back today and put on David Bowie's "Aladdin Sane". It is a lot better than the 30th anniversary remaster. When I received the lot, I quickly listened to "The Man Who Sold The World" and didn't notice a lot of difference. I'd never really sat down with the rest of them. I should have!

This does make me feel great, because I found copies of the out-of-print Dire Straits' "Love Over Gold" and "On Every Street" SHM-CDs a few weeks ago in New Zealand and ordered them. I'm just waiting for them to make the international postal treck to the US and should be receiving them soon.

I think that CD Japan has better prices on the SHM-CDs than Amazon. I can't really remember where I read it, but JVC is making their equivalent to the SHM-CD called HQCD. The Blu-Spec CDs are also worth the extra cost too.

Chuck
Just my 2 cents on this subject.
I own a number of SHM-CDs including "Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms" which I think is outstanding.
However, in my experience the sound quality varies depending on the mastering used.
If the mastering is excellent the SHM-CD will sound just a bit better, icing on the cake if you will.
If the mastering is so-so the SHM-CD will not improve it enough to make a difference.
My caveat when purchasing these is; find out which mastering is being used, if you like it then purchase the SHM-CD, if not pass.
PS: I also own a number of HQCDs and Blu-spec CDs, same caveat applies. My favorites are the Blu-spec.
PSS: As far as I know; HQCD and SHM-CD are materials based while Blu-spec is a mastering technique.