Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
nsp, I'll see your "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" and raise you one.  (Easily done since yours wouldn't play)  I'd say this has more bluesy feel than jazz but I've enjoyed it for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImxM4Rj5pOQ

Why so many deletes today?  I missed whatever was removed.

Also it will be a few days before I can hear those Blue Notes.  I'm feeling nervous about the condition of my stylus and need to change cartridges.  I'm fighting a cold this week so want to wait until I'm clear eyed and have a steady hand to do that.
Here’s one from the Incredible Jimmy Smith
https://youtu.be/FLfAs-56k9k

I love the version of this on the Mojo Working album. Enjoy!

Cheers 
frogman
Wow those two versions of "Cherokee" side by side really show the difference between Hawkins and Thompson. Hawkins falls back on his swing rhythms for the most part although he tries to break out of it several times. It*s not a knock on him as he came up in the swing style and probably felt most comfortable playing that way( as did many players of the swing era).  He may have adopted some bebop harmonics in his later career but as we know the rhythm changes bought to the music by the beboppers was very important in revolutionizing jazz. Cherokee is pretty much known as a song bebop players would take at a very fast pace which showed  those who could play the new bebop style.
Thompsons solo is smokin. Right after the melody and through his entire solo. This guy could play.  I state for the record that Lucky Thompson was a musician with a unique style and a sound all his own. And  I think that those two things are the best compliment any jazzman could be given. I too feel he is underappreciated but you*ve kept his name alive.  i need to get several of his cds I*m thinking of the New York City 1964-1965 sessions and the Paris 1956-1959 complete sessions. Any suggestions?
pryso

Those deletes were just me with failed attempts at posting/copying videos. I think I need a tutorial.http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fGFV2id6QqA Try to post one last time