Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Showing 50 responses by rok2id

This ones for Rok!

Is a 'Brouhaha' anything like a 'Ruckus'?   We used to have a lot of them.

Nice tune.  McBride is one the few 'real deals' still playing.

Cheers

Without Ellington we would be in trouble.

Are you dissing the greatest Jazz player still living? That would be Wynton.

Cheers

Can any of you Aficionados speak to the qualities of the HIFIMAN SUNDARA headphones?  Esp as compared to the Sennheiser 600 series headphones?

Thanks

Cheers

have you called o10 recently?

Today. Just got, as always, answering machine with woman’s(wife??) voice.

On one of those people locator sites he is listed as ’deceased’. But only on that one site. The reliability of that info is open to question. But, I fear it’s accurate. No way he could stay away from Jazz and all the posts that he would consider ’provocations’, for this length of time.

He will be missed.

Cheers

This man is no blues singer!!   So why is this disc still in my rotation??

Cheers

If only his first name had not been ZOOT.  He could have been somebody, he could have been a contender!

I don't think I should give the OP's  name.  It would violate his privacy.  Which he has even if the worst is true.

Cheers

My burden is great.

Drummers and Bass players could be considered the most important people in a Jazz band.  Their role is crucial to the performance.  They are not expected to solo.  That is not their role.

Think of all the greats, Mingus, Ray Brown, McBride, Ron Carter, Blakey, Jo Jones,  Higgins  etc....

How often are they leaders?  Even when their name is on top of the album jacket, the reviewers talk mostly about the piano and horn players.

Blakey known for bringing along young players, Mingus for his composing, the others for who they play with.  The are support players.

No one buys Mingus albums to hear him play Bass.  No one buys Messenger albums to hear Art play drums.   They wanna hear his latest horn player, or the Messengers as a whole.

Exceptions to this are the 'Showman' drummers.  Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa are examples.  But what they play is not Jazz, is it.

Cheers   

So, just what limits it? I think a big part of it all is the listener’s expectation of and reaction to the presence or absence of melody and harmony in the case of drum solos

The sounds produced by drums and bass limit them..  Try to visualize the Take Five drum solo without the bass and piano playing along with the drummer.  They kept the tune alive and moving along while Morello just punctuated it with his drum play.  Almost like tap dancing to music.

None of that has to be a limiting factor for creativity.

That is exactly what is wrong with most bass solos.  Very creative, but with no relationship with the tune being played.  Just an irritating break in the action.

Would we dismiss a great story teller simply because we do t like the sound of the voice? Hopefully not.

Yes indeed.  Remember all the great actors of the silent screen era that could not make the cut to talking pictures?

Cheers

Lots of movement.  Like some classical orchestra violin sections.

Cheers

Another of the OP's favorite performers.  Hated this tune. (SGB)

Cheers

Just wanted to try a planar phone.

HIFIMAN HE400se $109 (amazon)

A steal at this price

The cable is ridiculously short

I ordered the aftermarket coiled cable

Not for bass heads

My HD660s phones play 10 times louder at the same volume setting.

Comfortable. Not Sennheiser comfortable, but not bad.

Cheers

Why is great Jazz considered museum music, but great Classical music is not.

Interesting clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrp-2JPSoYE

Cheers