It's not the sound I want!

My system consists of a Krell kav300i, Aeriel Acoustic 6s and AdcomGCD750. I have Cardas cables , Jenalabs interconnects and Synergistic Research ac chords. It sound great at times but I find many cds hard to listen to. I listen to vocals with acoustic guitar and the guitar sounds detailed but so metalic and unnatural. It sounds like sombody is playing a saw with a bow. Is this what digital really sounds like? Is it sytem matching? I dont think it is the speakers. Is it just a matter of settling for the best we can get for $8000.00 and limiting what we listen to?
blbloom
After all the advice you've gotten, most of which sounds right to me, I'd just add: look for a used Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1 one-piece CD player. It has a tubed output stage, and impressed the Stereophile people, including Atkinson, before it got more or less forgotten as other "flavors of the month" came along. And it's a lot cheaper than a Wadia 830 on the used market. Of course if you can afford the Wadia, few would deny that it would be a better choice.
Tom is right about SFCD-1 among the best CD players made. However, i wouldn't recommend this player as good match for Krell 300. Even though that SF is tubed, it isn't, what most of us would expect from tubed electronics: "lush" "sweet" "harmonicaly rich...etc". SFCD-1 can be harsh if "hooked" to the wrong "stuff". Krell will also sound overly "analytical" if source is wrong. I would have to agree, with above mentioned Meridian the latest version.
Before doing anythig rash, try to borrow a P.S. Audio Powerstation (for your front end), put your CD player on three sorbothan feet, and about eight black diamond racing cones on top of your Adcom (do the same for your amp if you can go the $$$). I think your rig is basically sound. Ken
If it's not the sound you want, take up horse racing. You can even wear earplugs. (sorry, I couldn't resist), you have too much advice here already but it is alllllll good.
EARPLUGS ! Wow! What a tweak. I think I'll start a company to sell earplugs, and start by sending several samples to reviewers at Stereophile.