Isolation vs. Absorbtion

I am new to the audiophile hobby, and I am confused by what appears to be subjectivity and contradictions. When "mounting" a cd player and other components, is it best to use Soft Pads which ISOLATE vibration and RETAIN internal component vibration, OR is it best to use Hard Cones, which DRAIN (harmful) component vibrations into shelf material. Secondly, is it best to attach shelving to racks so that shelving makes Direct (hard) Contact - OR, should the shelving be Isolated from rack? Is there a scientific, indisputable answer?
128x128equa
Ken, you are being too kind. For a manufacturer to post a review of their product on this site and get away with it is appalling, much as I was interested in reading it. Am I getting too concerned about the thin edge of the wedge? Maybe. But this company does not seem to have any shame or ethics, or perhaps it is just plain dim.
No, Redkiwi, it wasn't just your sensibiities that were offended by that shamless plug. Mine, too. Pardon my harping on ethics yet again, but as with basic courtesy toward our fellow man ethics are apparently in short supply these days and the availability is seemingly rapidly dwindling. Somewhere down the line being self-centered and super egocentric became not only socially acceptable, but almost admired. By some people that is; not by me. Just call me old fashioned.

Add yet another business to the black list...
Hello Ken,

I hope my placement of the review did not offend you. I have very little time to converse through typing as I wanted to provide you a third party’s investigation into the merit of our product and studies and provide some answers to your questions.

I really enjoyed your analogy of our product function as I now can see a clear almost parallel realization about both companies’ desires for maintaining musical performance and dynamics throughout the playback process.

It would be fun to position you and our Senior Designer, Brent Riehl, in the same room and start the tape rolling. I am sure the results would be flat out encouraging.

Are you attending the Le Festival Son & Image this month in Montreal?

If so we can hook up there. If not maybe at the show in New York?

I look forward to meeting you in person.

Very truly yours,

Robert Maicks
Star Sound Technologies, LLC
I just re-read all the posts from 2/13/01 to 3/08/01 and in all honesty am not sure what has happened here. It would seem to me that Dr.A was able to appear above board in the end after trying to dodge the questions posed and underhandedly promote a product for his own personal gain. At the same time Ken came off as way to forgiving and a man of incredible integrity and control. Some how Dr. A was able to fill a full month of advertising his products name without really telling me anything, and Ken chose not to self promote his fantastic product at all. Will the good guy win? I hope we all boycott Dr. A's product until we recieve a full and honest apology, and maybe an honest aproach to marketing. I'm still at a lose as to what I've learned regarding Isolation vs. Absorbtion, and that saddens me. I for one am asking Dr.A to take a period of time off from or site until he can learn the value of honesty and fair play. For all the good you Dr.A could have brought to this discussion, I see nothing of value added by your free month of self promotion. I will end now before I start to say things not intended to say.
J.D.

P.S. Thank-you Redkiwi for all your guidence on shelving. My Neuance shelf has settled in very nicly and all the attributes you identified have come through. Also for the sake of Ken's lack of self promotion, I will step in and take over. THE NEUANCE PRODUCT IS A FANTASTIC SHELFING PRODUCT OUT PROFORMING MY OTHER SHELF PRODUCT AT ONLY HALF THE COST. A GREAT PRODUCT, SUPER PERSONAL SERVICE AND AN HONEST TIME LINE. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK KEN, AND PLEASE EVERYONE TRY THIS PRODUCT, YOU'LL LOVE IT!
Whew. I have been trumpeting it, I must admit. It is a bit of a relief that you agree, Jadem6. I had tried almost everything I could lay my hands on without importing things myself - MDF, particle board, concrete, glass, laminated glass, marble, corian, granite, sandstone, soap stone etc. I had tried bladders, seismic sinks, sorbothane, mass-loading, elastomers, sand and shot. I had tried more cones and pods than I care to remember. But I felt, that each was just changing the sound, not eliminating the effects of vibration. I cannot say Ken's Neuance shelves are the only product to do this, but finally I found something that worked. The approach is in the light/rigid/damped school, which always results in speed and detail, but usually results in resonant peaks. Not so with the Neuance shelves. You get fast, detailed and neutral. Somehow the vibration effects, that all other things I tried just shifted around, have been substantially removed.