Is vintage audio better? I'm starting to look at current (modern) and non-US audio.

So comparing vantage vs modern and then non-U.S. brands - mostly U.K, France, Hungary, German,...   Does U.S. still make the best audio?  Has Europe caught up and passed brands like Audio Research, Mcintosh,...

I think current U.S. standards may be impacting the sound (RoHS) and other compliance standards.  Those modern standards may also give the edge to vintage audio. 

Thoughts?
mudbone
In my opinion, very few non US companies can match the best from Spectral, Boulder, Ayre, Audio Research, Conrad Johnson. The really good European stuff is at a much higher price. No vintage gear matches the best current stuff, even if one discounts the mileage all vintage gear has. It's kind of like being nostalgic for medical knowledge in the 60s and 70s.
Thanks for the quality thoughts and opinions on this.  My question came from some stereo monitors I just picked up that I had never heard of but are simply outstanding.  They were/are $3800.00L in the UK. but because they are so unknown here, I picked them up for $500.  Audioman58 above mentioned that in his response and I think he is on point. I began thinking - what other small audio makers are out there in the UK and other countries producing killer gear, but mostly goes unnoticed here in the U.S.  That also prompted the vintage vs new question.  The preamp and speakers were new/modern and from the UK (speakers) and Hungary (preamp) - most of my experience has been with vintage U.S. audio, so I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was (not just different).