is there really a need for two subs?

My room is fairly small, maybe 14' by 10'. I have a Jolida 502A and a pair of Soliloquy 6.2 loudspeakers. Is there really a need for two subwoofers since everything I have read states that subs are non-directional?
dennzio
Wave launch, and phase intergration of stereo subs is a major part of the blending process. This is mostly a time consuming problem. The process can take much longer when your main speakers have 2 woofers in each cabinet. These woofers, one loading near the floor and the other loading near the ceiling do effect the arrival time of the first bass wave. Placement becomes even more critical when your room is of irregular shape. Bass loading in odd shaped rooms can be an ordeal. With much time and care the payoff of two 15in. servo subs loading with their four 10in. brothers makes for a grand and accurate sounstage.
I've had a single Titan II LE for over a year and absolutely love it. It is seamless. I've wanted to try a second unit but didn't have the extra funds. A couple of monhts ago a friend got one of ACI's new Force subs. We spent a couple of weeks playing around with it and concluded that it sounded a LOT like the big brother. So I started experimenting with stereo subs. At first the results were not an improvement. However, after changing room placement and tweeking the settings, well let's just say I now know that I'll be getting a second Titan II when I can afford it. We've found improvements in soundstaging and bass detail. I will add that I would definitely rather have one "great" sub than two "good" subs.