Is McIntosh still a good choice?

When I was a teenager I was really into stereo equipment. I eventually bought a complete system and thus moved on to other interests in life. At the time McIntosh was highly respected. My grandfather owned several McIntosh pieces and I revered them with their blue glow. Now it's time for me to become an audiophile again and I'm upgrading my system. I still have reverence for Mac equipment and love it's industrial design. Is McIntosh still highly respected, or have they become passe? Should I still consider a Mac integrated amp? I'm also exploring an Arcam A85 integrated. I'll be driving a pair of Paradigm Studio/20s. Thanks!
nsainshane
I've certainly been happy with the Mac equipment that I've purchased or heard over the years. A couple of the earlier messages in this thread mentioned reservations about Mac CD and DVD players. I'd like to hear more about that. Its not been my experience - although admittedly I did recently pair an MVP841 CD/DVD unit with an outboard DAC and found enough of an improvement to warrant keeping it.

Skip
hi! mac was good ,still good and in future for shure good as the best!tubes or solid state,they make music!
keep your mac and be happy with!all best from germany
and enjoy!ciao luciano
Thanks for all the great responses! The McIntosh is very expensive, but I always look at the long-term value of things and include the less tangible emotional value of such investments. I'm convinced that McIntosh is worth every penny and will be a pleasure to own for many years to come, and most importantly, after side-by-side listening tests of various Mc models, my ears are very, very happy with the sound of the 6900. I'm afraid the tube amp is simply too expensive an option right now because of its higher price and the fact that a preamp would have to be purchased as well. Anyway, I need to allow for something to look forward to in the future in the way of upgrades : ) Good listening space fans! AT
I agree with Ljgj. I have a modest MA6450 integrated and love the sound. I saw a MA6850 on ebay recently which went begging at $2200 (what I paid for my MA6450 new), so you can get some great deals. MAC gives a nice full sound and maybe some bloom which I enjoy. And those big blue meters at night will really relax you. Classic looks, classic sound.

Enjoy!
I had a McIntosh 2102 in my system for about 2 weeks while I was awaiting LAMM M1.1 monoblocks. McIntosh is frequently knocked by so many "audiophiles" - those who turn their noses up and look away, in favor of more esoteric brands. I found the McIntosh 2102 tube amp to be HIGHLY enjoyable and quite frankly I am tossing around the idea of getting rid of the LAMM's in favor of a pair of MC2102's (bridged). While the LAMM is truly a spectacular amplifier - it's not that much better than the Mac 2102 - and that really says something for the current generation of Mac tube products.

I think a pair of 2102's in bridged mode, producing 200 watts per channel would give ANY amp a run for the money. Not just in listenability, musicality and resale value but nearly all the qualities we seek in music reproduction.

Plus - they look gorgeous!

While I am personally not fond of McIntosh digital or preamplifiers (in any way), I do think their amps (even the newer solid state designs - which MUST be tweaked with the right interconnect for optimal performance) sound quite good and can easily compete with the best, most esoteric brands out there.