IO Signature/Steelhead/Arc Reference/ and Colibrì?

So, to sum up, according to you, which is the best arranged system for the Colibrì 0,65 mv at 500 Ohm optimal suggested load impedence?
I mean , just for analog LP playback!
Suggestions?

These are the combos I could arrange used:

1. Io Signature with dual power supplies with Volume
2. Io Signature with dual power supplies and ARC REF 2 MkII
3. ARC Reference Phono with ARC Reference 2 MkII
4. Manley Steelhead with volume control
5. Manley Steelhead and ARC REF 2 MKII
6. Other combos?

Thanks
zender
Jafox, your post made me want to slightly clarify my previous post. I may have been the other person you are referring to (maybe not) so I do not want to seem to be contradicting myself. My advice to Zender about going with the phono stage with volume controls is more a theoretical suggestion as I have always used a line stage. As you know, conventional wisdom would dictate that less in the signal path is better. However, my own personal tastes would probably also weigh on the side of using the line stage for the reasons you mentioned. Since I need a line stage for digital, I haven't had to really face the issue.

However, I CAN say this -- when I had the Manley Steelehead, I tried bypassing my line stage and ran my CDP without a line stage using the Manley's "line in" option and I MUCH preferred using my line stage. I also made one short comparison where I ran my analog rig through my Steelhead AND my linestage (my normal set-up) versus using the Manley's volume control. In that situation I preferred running the Manley through the line stage but I didn't verify this with any long term listening.
Just a thought on running digital through the Io with volume control... With the volume control option, Jim includes a single switched high level input. So, the design accomodates an additional high level source, whether CD, tuner or other. To accomodate multiple additonal sources, one is faced with inserting a separate switch box or with swapping the interconnect among sources. I've chosen to do the latter in switching between CD or Tuner. Inelegant, but effective. And it may work for me only because I listen to vinyl 95% of the time anyway.

Also, keep in mind that the Io's second input inserts ahead of the last active gain stage. This means it avoids the issues that exist with a purely passive volume control set-up. I don't know if the Manley does this as well, or whether the Manley inserts directly ahead of the volume control in a purely passive arrangement. And, keep in mind that the volume control used in the Io is the same incredibly high quality volume control used in the Callisto line stage. Perhaps Fmpnd can shed some light on whether the Steelhead's design is similar or different. If different, that might account for his strong preference for the linestage with the Steelhead.

At the same time, I've also read Albert Porter's comments about preferring the Io and Callisto in combination to the Io solo. All I will add is that I'm using the Io Signature alone with a 0.4mv output cartridge, and the dynamics seem without limit. (Using the dual power supplies option does have an impact on dynamics.) If the addition of a Callisto linestage is even better, wonderful! But, the Io Signature with volume control and dual power supplies is pretty doggone incredible, too. I don't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who listens primarily to vinyl and who is willing to take a minimalist approach to inputs, outputs and other switchable features.
One more vote for Bruce Wenger at BWS consulting. Great guy. Like Frank said, Bruce re-tubed his IO, my brother Kevin, and mine as well. Frank, that's like 50K in tubes, LOL!!
Chris, I actually had to sell my dentures and put my wife out on the street to afford those tubes but, hey, it was worth it! LOL ~!!!!!!
Hello,

I have an Io signature w/ volume controls. I run cartridges with lower output than the Colibri with no sense of loss in dynamics...but then I have never tried , in my system, a comparable line stage to run through. Some with more sophisticated systems do run a line stage as well.

My decision to run Io alone was for simplicity and cost as I play mostly vinyl. The efficiency of the system further down plays a roll in the virtues of a line stage with the Io. I have tried the Steelhead and the Io was more to my liking in my system...but at it's price vs. the Io the Steelhead is a "bargain". There are some here with the Io and big Sound Labs etc. that abide by the line stage approach. The drive to get those beasts going starts with the phono and line stage so the extra swing may be beneficial in these state of the art systems. For my more moderate tastes the Io alone does not leave much to be desired...presently I'm content....but I'd like to hear more on the +'s and -'s of line stage vs. no line stage Good Luck, AJ