Interesting information from Analog Planet on Stylus Cleaner Onzow Zero Dust.

Here is the link, judge for yourself. 
No residue on my stylus but I binned my onzow anyway 

128x128jerryg123

For what it's worth, even though I will absolutely hate going back to using a stylus brush, with or without cleaning fluid, distilled water, purified water, alien Elixer or whatever, I'm now doing some research on liquid stylus cleaners. I asked Music Direct what "both a stylus cleaner and a stylus preservative" meant with regard to Mobile Fidelity's LP#9 liquid cleaner. They responded by saying this solution does not leave behind any kind of coating on the stylus. So, apparently, the mention of "preservative" alludes to the fact that a clean stylus will last longer. LAST Stylus Cleaner basically advertises the same effect but, unlike LP#9, they say their solution does not contain alcohol. They also say their solution removes the most stubborn crud. Mobile Fidelity and The Last Factory are two authoritative sources I have the utmost respect for. I was going to add Michael Fremer to that list, too, because of his support for Audio Intelligent Stylus Cleaner. However, after this latest half *** stunt of his in Analog Planet, he's gone down a couple notches in my pantheon of trusted sources, if you know what I mean.

@oldaudiophile 

Yep, if I take anything from this saga, it's that a liquid stylus cleaner is good to have in the toolkit. I'm not intending to use it daily or weekly - but maybe every once in a while, and definitely to clear up accumulation on previously used styli - I think it's a good idea to have on hand. I just ordered some Last cleaner. Heck I ordered some Stylast too, though I'm not sure yet which cartridge I want to try it on. 

I have a 47 year history in the chemical business, much of which has been involved in polymer chemistry. I have years of formulating and specifying both epoxy and polyurethane coatings, adhesives, sealants & elastomers, aka CASE chemistry. I am now retired.

The Onzow product is very likely to be a elastomeric polyether polyurethane. There would be no need for a fugitive plasticizer in this product as the urethane can be formulated as soft as the Onzow is. Unlike PVC used to produce records that does have a plasticizer. Polyurethanes are reactive 2 component chemistry consisting of the reaction between a Polyol (multifunctional alcohol, think -OH)and as stated it would be a polyether polyol. This is reacted with an aliphatic isocyanate to form the clear water-white polyurethane. This reaction is Not Reversible. The formula would also likely be over indexed with the Isocyanate. Any excess isocyanate not crosslinkied with the polyol would be further reacted with atmospheric moisture, water is H-OH, so it has the -OH available to react. Therefore, there is no fugitive material available to “gum” up the stylus/cantilever. Now the vinyl records do have additives than can be fugitive that could gum up the works. Without chemical analysis we do know what the deposits are. That needs to be determined before jumping to any conclusions.

In regards to using wet cleaning of styli using alcohol or other solvent based solutions this should not negatively affect the epoxy adhesive used to bond the Diamond to the cantilever. Especially if using the recommended drop of solution. Even direct full immersion would take days, weeks and possibly months to have any deleterious effect and even then removing from immersion it could recover. A correctly formulated epoxy adhesive is resistant to solvents except for the most aggressive types like methyl chloride. No manufacture would use this aggressive of a solvent in a stylus cleaner. 

I am currently an Onzow user. I have not noticed any deterioration in sound quality since beginning to use it about 1 year ago. I don't have access to a high resolution microscope to inspect my stylus to see what might be there.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but my chemical curiosity has me wondering what is happening. I await further investigative results to determine what is really going on.

@rickd1225, God Bless You for your expertise on this!

I have no idea what all the technical polymer chemistry stuff means but, like you, I've been using the Onzow Zerodust stylus cleaner for a while, now, with no unsavory effects I can discern. No problems with sound quality and nothing of any concern I can see on the stylus. However, the magnification I've been using to observe the stylus is pretty pedestrian. I also agree that Mr. Fremer, WAM Engineering/Wally Tools and J.R. Boisclair have gone off half-cocked on this. Strictly based upon what has been reported, thus far, however, I have to say, regrettably, that the brunt of responsibility, here, rest squarely on Mr. Fremer's shoulders.  WAM/Wally Tools/J.R. Boisclair are simply reporting on what they're seeing, thus far, and what the styli owners have, it would seem, reported to them, regarding these styli deposits. It wouldn't surprise me, at all, if Onzow Labo, DS Audio and maybe some other manufacturers of some of these gel-type cleaners consider litigation if their sales are negatively affected by this half *** reporting. It would behoove Mr. Fremer to do everything within his power to get to the bottom of what these deposits really are and where they are really coming from and do it FAST!

Also having no dog in this fight, I will continue using Onzow.

As many have pointed out, there is nothing wrong with occasional brushing & flossing so to speak. Occasional use of a compact brush as supplied by Ortofon/Benz/Lyra/MoFi/Disc Doctor etc as an addition to regular correct use of the aforementioned gel is highly advisable. Gentle lossy brushing of the cantilever could also be considered from time to time.

I agree that hard clear substances can build up on styli. I have seen it and cleaned it. Not rocket science but it does require great magnification and a steady hand (along with support of the cantilever using MacGyver inspired well placed removable scotch tape with the unsticky back side supporting the top of the cantilever). Clear buildup is indicative of cleaning “treatment” fluid whereas brown gunk would relate to wet record playing trash which is typically not as tough to remove.

The clear crust I’ve removed via an exacto knife (Metal blade) & plastic pick were determined, by user/owner query, to be stylus treatments over applied and built up over time. The brown gunk, removed with just the plastic pick, was one of my pickups grunged up after trying to relive my youth using a wet Discwasher record brush - turns out they don’t effectively dry after moistening the brush’s leading edge!

In spite of a potential warranty claim reported for a mistracking cartridge, I completely fail to see how such a soft cleaning gel can cause audible damage despite referenced “deposit” photos.

Just my $0.02 worth . . . Let’s go buy more records!