Interconect recommendation

I have a Marantz PM 84D integrated amplifier, a Denon 1650AR CD player, VAndersteen 2Ce speakers, Audioquest midnight+ speaker cables, and Kimber PBJ interconnects. I am looking to upgtrade the interconnects.

Would HT Truthlink or AQ Opal be good choices ? And what is the difference between balanced cables Vs. unbalanced ?

Thanks.
chander
I'm pretty sure you are using unbalanced connectors with your equipment. They are the little round rca ended cables. Balanced cables use xlr connectors which have three prongs, and have a little slider lock on them.

I would buy a couple of cables used and sell off what you don't need. Cables are very system (and personality!) dependent. They do indeed make an enourmous difference. I have found them to be one of the biggest bang for the buck improvements out there.

I do recall from the FOUR vandersteen speakers I have owned that they tended to be less improved by megabuck interconnects than most. This is because they are not hyper-detailed speakers. They also tended to appreciate brighter cables which tended to offset their natural laid back character. I commonly hear people referring to audioquest silver cables, and synergistic research's as goo d matches.

Harmonic Tech's are VERY impressive in the 125 range. They would be a good match for your components because they tend to remove some of the solid state nasties. I would definitely try a set. They might be a little sweet/syrupy for the vandersteens. Another great cable is the Audio research litz which can be had for 125-150. AR's have wonderful midrange and a nice glowy sound. The DH labs cables silver cables are supposed to be very good for the price too. Quite a few people pair audioquest cables with vandersteens too. The $350 (used) AQ diamond is a good cable and would probably be a good match. Very detailed, but little harsh in some systems.

In the 200-250 range, the harmonic tech pro-silway and nordost red dawns are very good and would add detail to your system.

Good luck !
Chander and Sean,

I am kind of curious about the results of the burn-in experiment. If it comes off could you post your results?

Thanks,
Greg
GPalmer, I surely will. Perhaps Sean can also do tests before and after and report. But first, I am curious as to what Sean means by "burning". I have used the PBJ's for a few years now. Wouldn't it already been burned in ?
For your system, try out some Straightwire Virtuoso Platinum interconnects.
Well designed balanced connections should give you a quieter background, only if you use balanced connections in your entire setup and that you are running long lengths of interconnects ( 15 feet or longer ). Otherwise, any difference is subtle.