Integrateds with DAC?

Contemplating a modest office system and looking for a "one box solution" integrated/DAC to run off a MAC. Speakers likely to be not-terribly-efficient monitors or mini-towers, but room pretty small (10x14x8h), and I won't be going loud, so power not at a premium.

I'm aware of the Bel Cantos (perhaps a little dear) and the Peachtrees (perhaps a little unreliable?), but curious as to what else is out there.

Thx,

John
jdoris
John, lack of a USB port generally isn't much of a problem. There are plenty of USB to S/PDIF converters out there. I use the Hagerman HagUsb (or something like that) in my office system, which uses the Mambo. I also have a Squeezebox in the office that connects via coax digital input, but the computer connects USB --> Hagerman adapter --> Toslink connection. That way I can listen to either the Squeezebox or directly from the computer, my choice.

The USB to S/PDIF adapters are inexpensive and, at least in my experience, work great. I can't tell the difference between hooking my Mac's mini-Toslink port to the Toslink input of the Mambo vs USB to Toslink. In fact, it makes a better connection as the connector is never falling out like it did with the mini-Toslink port.

Michael
Sandstone, you mention "Several very good DACs with sufficient..." that can substitute for preamps. Can you list a few of those out or point me to thread that does.

(my personal budget would be Less than $750 but I don't want to totaly hijack this thread ;)

Jeff
DAC's with volume controls that I know of:

Emotiva XDA-1
YBA Design WD202
Benchmark DAC1 PRE
Tact 2.2 XP (more than a DAC w/VC)
Bel Canto 3.5
Bel Canto 2.5
Peachtree Audio Nova & iNova
Peachtree Audio Decco & iDecco
Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC
Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 and DAC-1