Integrated Amps vs. Separates.

I'm curious what people think the better option is, integrated amp or seperates. It seems that integrated amps are a cost cutting measure, but do they also cut sonic quality? Assuming similiar price ranges, what would people here generally choose. Give me some examples/brands/models and comparisions from your experiences. Thnaks. Carter p.s. Is the Krell KAV 300i really the king of integrateds like many reviewers say (i.e not only better than all other integrated amps but better than most seperates)?
mailman199
Just a little comment regarding state-of-the-art, price-no-object integrated amps. They do exist, but are admittedly quite few in number. The Jeff Rowland Group Concentra comes to mind as offering some serious goods for their $5k+ price. Then there's that infamous Audio Note Ongaku, which is completely wired with high grade silver wire, even in the tubes and transformers, apparently. A new one costs a cool $60,000 if you can track one down.
integreted is a very convenient way to go but after having tried various units the krell included I still find all a bit lacking especially in the area of depth or should I say the lack of a 3d soundspace just too flat sounding to me I wish they did surpass separates but so far not quite yet but close
Jules, so you are saying no integrated can match any set of separates? The person who started this thread asked, "given similiar price ranges". I must not be making my point clear in the other posts. If you have a budget, lets say $4000, I am saying there is the possibility, you could purchase a integrated that would outperform $4000 worth of amp and preamp. Is that clearer? Now if you have NO budget, your best performance will come from separates. The availabilty and choices are clearly in favor of separates, but there is a surge in the manufacturing of integrated amps and selection is getting better everyday, especially in the high-end arena.
Jules, you sure are generalizing in this area. I have found most of the better tubed integrated I have heard(AR, Bel Canto, Bryston, CJ, Cary, Classe, Electrocompaniet, Jadis, MF, Rowland, VAC, YBA, etc.) to not be compromised in terms of soundstage/depth/whatever. We are entering a new golden age of integrateds. In my opinion, they surpass(overall) the separates of just of few years ago. I also feel that the Europeans are producing better sounding equipment than the American/Canadian faction. Producing lower power, but stellar sounding products. Perhaps, in response of the demand over there.