Installing dedicated lines. Which cable to use?

Hi guys

I'm having some dedicated lines put in. I've already purchased some Porter Ports (what a great guy that Albert P.!), and have a couple of questions concerning which cable to use. I want to use 10-2 solid core, but am confused about a couple of things:

-the runs from the breaker box will be relatively short (15-20 feet). Should I use shielded Romex or unshielded? I do have some problems with noise (hum, buzz)in my setup when using unshielded interconnects (Nordost). I am told that unshielded sounds better but is noisier. Experiences?

-I am having trouble locating brand name Romex. The local HD and Lowe's don't carry it, but do have a Romex-like 10-2 copper wire. Is real Romex worth the search? Lots of references in the archives to Romex from HD. What gives? Is the name Romex used generically to mean any similar cable? What is a good source for real Romex?

Thanks in advance and any other suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.
frogman
Sorry Porziob, never having had the misfortune of living near you I was wrong! I guess that law is similar to the union plumbers in philly that forced a builder to install miles of plumbing that will never be used simply to keep the union happy.

I guess it doesn't surprise me that NYC is stupid enough to disallow a product that is proven to be more than adaquate throughout the rest of the country.

Your ego must be smiling today for having won this meaningless arguement.
I guess that we all learned something in this thread. It's good to see that there are others paying attention that can help prevent "bad situations" from potentially coming into play.

While i don't think that Romex type wiring would result in any type of problem i.e. fire or shock hazard, it could make the difference between an insurance claim being approved or denied if some other electrical problem come into play.

Maybe we all need to work on our "bedside manners" and take things a little less personally. This includes me too : ) Sean
>
Hi there I got a real kick reading all these threads.12-2 is rated for a 20 amp circuit. 10-2 for 30amp. The line will run cooler with 10-2 very very difficult to work with! Romex is national code, and refeers to the insulating jacket. Your
other code approved option would be THNN and conduit. More importantly than your wire options should be the service panel itself. Other than Square D QO line ,and another midwest company all panel companies do not use a solid copper buss bar! Good Luck!!
Msunco19 makes a very good point,I think.Since I've been there and done that,I know first hand how difficult can be to run Romex through 2x6 or 2x4 wood-studs walls.I understand that some people use 10/2 for 20A applications but why?The 12/2 I used was not easy to run my 6 dedicated lines from the basement(where the main panel is) to the attic on the 3rd floor where my listening room is.Having to go through 1/2 holes on every stud on 16 inches,and then to protect all the holes on BOTH sides with metal plates before drywall ,was a LOT of work.I can't see myself doing it again with 10/2,forget it.Some people probably run short straight lines from the panel to the room next door e.t.c.
That's OK but to go through 3 floors without any SPLICE is something else.Then why would I want to risk all my work having an electrical inspector come over to my home and say something like "10/2 for 20A? No no good,change it,or I wont approve it!!!".
BX in my city(Toronto) is used in commercial applications inside metal studs walls ,because it uses the flexible metal jacket,other than that Romex and BX are the same.
Thanks
George