If tube amp is left on, but not playing........

If a tube amp is left on , but not playing, is the tube still wearing out? If you think of the tube as a valve, and no electrons are moving through it, it would seem that there is little to no wear on the tube. This is a significant question for me, I am considering a SET for a system that will be used by my family. My wife has never shut off a light in her lifetime, and will not turn off the amp when not in use. (Those of you who respond with suggestions on how to change my wife's behavior have never been married!!) thank you......Mark
mythtrip
I don't think turning off B+ will help much if the filament is on. The filament will still be cooking away and shortening the life of the tube.
A tube burns out quicker with no signal. Tubes work in the opposite of transistors - a transistor will pass maximum current at the highest signal voltage and the least current at no signal. A tube will pass maximum current at no signal voltage and the lowest current at the highest voltage signal. And, BTW, this is why tube amps should never ever be powered on unless the speakers are connected.
Just tell your wife how much the 300b tubes cost, and she will never again leave it on (assuming she lets you keep it)!

Tom
Just tell your wife how much the 300b tubes cost, and she will never again leave it on (assuming she lets you keep it)!

Tom
LMAO @ Tom, a NOS 300b tube no doubt!

You might consider a hybrid amp like a Blue Circle or Llano.