If my subwoofer has no LFE input...

I am considering a new subwoofer. Many very nice, but older models do not have inputs appropriate for LFE from a processor. Given that the subwoofer would be connected in parallel with the main speakers:

1. Can most processors be told not to send LFE to the sub channel and direct all low frequencies to the mains?

2. What kind of sonic degradation occurs, from a home theatre perspective, with this kind of setup (presumably the 2 channel sound would be excellent)?

Any help/information is welcome. Thanks very much.
ssblount
In answer to question #1:
In the speaker set up of most processors you'd set the subwoofer to OFF, then set your mains to LARGE. This will prevent a signal going to your processor's LFE output and send a full frequency signal to your mains.

Regarding question #2:
Some people actually prefer to run their HT in this set up. I only have monitors, so I haven't been able to test this to full effect.

Which subs are you considering?
Gunbei, thank you for your response. I will double check my processor to make sure it has this capability and any processor along my upgrade trail. I am considering the Audio Physic Rhea posted in the classifieds by TSTO. All the reviews I have found indicate it to be an excellent choice. Also it will complement my Audio Physic Virgos (even has matching veneer - always important from a fashion perspective).
No problem at all.

Sounds like the Audio Physic cabinets will make a good looking and good sounding combination!

Good luck.
If I remember correctly the Denon AVR receivers have in the speaker, subwoofer menu (when set to on) THX and THX + Mains. So if a subwoofer is not connected to the sub pre out you could still get the LFE info to your Left and Right Main speakers when set to THX + Mains.
Regards
Rich