I2s DSD

Hi I'd really like to know if anyone is successfully and enjoyably using either a PS Audio or dCS SACD transport into a high end DAC such as the Mola Mola. I'm not interested in hearing about CHI-FI DACs.

I am specicically interested in pure DSD across I2s which has not been converted in any way and any issues with high end DACs handling the signal.

If you can enlighten me on alternative I2s, DSD transports and servers or even possible USB to I2s converters, it would be highly appreciated. Thanking you in advance. My server is an Aurender N20.

128x128lordmelton

There’s a ’Chinese Black-Box’ available from a couple of eBay sellers that takes an HDMI input from a SACD player (like an OPPO) and strips the video signal, passing the DSD audio layer to a variety of output types, including i2s. I bought one but I haven’t used it yet. It took weeks to get here from China even though I paid for expedited shipping and came sans wall-wart and any instructions. (Though a standard wall-wart will work and operation is pretty self-explanatory since it’s just a simple pass-through device.)

PS -  The HDMI output from a SACD player is not i2s compatible in any way. SACD players use the 'true' HDMI format which carries the audio and the video signal. I2S is not HDMI, it just happens to use the same plug type, in some instances. So for example, my Denafrips supports i2s, but it won't recognize or decode a signal coming from the HDMI output on my OPPO SACD player, it needs to be converted (in my case, via the Chinese BB). I know most of you know this, but there are some who possibly do not.

If you want to get I2s from your Oppo you need to get an I2s board from Oppomod.com  https://www.oppomod.com/index.html

The Chinese black box will only separate audio from video afaik, no I2s.

There is no cable standard for I2s at present so either stick with the same manufacturer or get Chinese cables that allow you to swap conductors, but their SQ maybe not so good.

The Oppomod I2S board works really well with my Oppo 103D player into my Denafrips Pontus II