How to split pre out to connect power amp and sub

Hello !

I'm really getting confused about this one, so please help me !

I recently bought a Shanling MC-30 (2x3W tube amp/pre-amp, very nice btw), and I'm thinking about buying a Prima Luna Prologue Five (35W tube power amp) to give it more "punch" and soundstage.

I can simply hook it up the "pre-out" on the Shanling, but !! Right now, I have an active subwoofer connected to it (Scandyna The Ball 2.1 Stereo RCA input)...

So my question is : how to split the pre-out to connect both the power amp and the sub ??

I've looked on many threads, but didn't find the exact answer or didn't understand all the splitting story... Can you do a step by step (I'm a newbie, I know...)

First I understood I don't need a Y splitter to connect on both ends of the sub cables to connect the Shanling to the sub (but I still bought them before I found out !). So that makes that one of the pre-out input is used for the sub, and the other one is free... Do I need a Y splitter here to connect to the power amp ? Won't it deteriorate stereo or sound quality if it is hooked to only one pre-out input on the pre-amp ?

Maybe I got it all wrong.. so that's why I'm asking you pros in the end ! :lesson:
abalem
P.S. The comments in my previous post about the y-adapter and impedance matching are based on the assumption that your sub has separate left and right channel inputs, or alternatively that you have a separate sub for each channel. Upon re-reading your post I'm not sure that is the case -- please clarify and I'll answer further tomorrow, if necessary.

Regards,
-- Al
A further thought: Since the Shanling has such a low power output, that would make it readily practicable to substitute a resistor for the speaker load which would no longer be connected to it. Doing so would completely eliminate the possibility of damage that I described!

Radio Shack part number 271-120, which is an 8 ohm 20 watt non-inductive resistor, costing $1.49 each according to an older catalog I have, would do the trick. Get two of these, and connect one between the Shanling's red and black left channel speaker terminals, and connect the other one between the red and black right channel speaker terminals.

Hope that helps,
-- Al
I am going to be purchasing a preamp (CJ Premier 10) with one pair of outputs. If I have two active subwoofers that I can connect mono (one run to each), am I okay splitting the signal at the Premier 10 with y-adapters at each terminal, one in each pair (channel) going to amplifier, and the other going to a [powered] subwoofer? Will this result in a signal quality loss? Can I split again to make it a three way split? Thanks for your help!
Solst1ce -- As I indicated above, whether or not doing that results in sonic degradation would depend on whether the combined input impedances of the sub and the power amp (and the third device, if you choose to split three ways) remains much larger than the output impedance of the preamp.

Also, keep in mind that the cable capacitance which the preamp would have to drive is the sum of the capacitances of the two (or three) cables that would be connected to each channel. That could become a significant factor if preamp output impedance is high and cable capacitance per unit length is high (e.g., 100 picofarads per foot) and cable lengths are long (e.g. 20 feet each). So I would suggest using low capacitance cables (e.g., less than 40 or 50 pf/ft, especially if the run lengths are long). Otherwise, upper treble rolloff may result.

In your case, I suspect that you'll be ok in all of these respects. I found the following statement at the CJ website about the Premier 10:

The audio circuit of the Premier Ten consists of a single triode amplifier direct coupled to a triode cathode follower. The low output impedance of the cathode follower permits the use of the Premier Ten with highly capacitive amplifier interconnect cables without attenuation of the high frequency information.

BTW, to calculate the combined impedance of three loads in parallel, calculate the combined impedance of two of them as I described above (product divided by sum), then calculate the product divided by the sum of that result with the third impedance. Or, alternatively, the impedance of the parallel combination of three loads is the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of the three input impedances.

Regards,
-- Al
Hello Almarg,

Thanks for the reply !

Gosh ! Though I knew tube amps should never be run without speakers, I must say I didn't even think about this issue !! Damn..

Is it not enough to run the sub or is it not considered as a speaker ? If that's the case, how do you normally use the preout then ?

I'm even more confused now..

Yes, my sub has separate left and right channel inputs.

I'll look into the non-inductive resistor you mentionned.