How to add to my 2-chanl int. amp for home theater

I have a good two-channel integrated amp I use for music. I'd like to move to home theater inexpensively, that is without replacing my entire system. How can I add to what I have to get surround sound processing and amplification for the other channels? Ideally, I'd like a surround sound receiver that has line-level outs for the front right and left channels, so I can use my integrated amp. for those, and use the receiver for the other channels. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find one that has them. The closest is receivers that have pre-amp outs. But that would bypass the preamp stage of my integrated amp. even for music, and an inexpensive surround receiver won't have as good a preamp as my integrated amp. I'd like to spend $500 or less but will consider more expensive solutions.
ddoneff
I too am thinking of doing this, however I do not have another spare input on my integrated.

Could I use the pre outs for my Left and Right fronts and send them through my proccessor loop and then use the other 3 channels off my reciever.

My only conern is match the gain level, so the volume will go up at equal levels on all speaker.

Thanks
Nick,

Yes, the processor loop is probably a better solution. If it is a modern integrated amp, the processor loop/HT bypass is designed especially to support this type of setup.

Simply run the R&L pre-outs from the receiver to the processor loop inputs.

When you calibrate the cannel volumes for the "HT setup" (receiver powering center, surround, etc-Integrated amp powing L&R front speakers), simply turn on the Integrated amp and Receiver, select the processor loop input selector on the integrated amp and calibrate all channel volumes using the HT receiver for volume control of all channels.

The processor loop/HT bypass simply sends the inputs directly to the power amp section of your integrated amp. It causes the integrated amp to bypass all pre-amp functions, therefore, your integrated amp works as if it were simply an add on power amp.

This setup works well and is a very inexpensive alternative if you already have a good 2-channel music system.

BTW, the only functional difference between using the processor loop inputs or using an unused line-level input is the fact that you do not have to remember to set the volume control of the integrated amp to a "pre-defined" level each time you want to use HT.

Enjoy,

TIC
You are correct. The Yamaha E-492 decodes any Dolby Pro-Logic signal using its internal processor but does not decode Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS internally. I currently decode these other formats using an external processor within my NAD DVD player connected to the 6 channel input of the Yamaha. Yamaha also made the DDP-1 processor which handles Dolby Digital externally but not DTS. Also a good processor if you have laser discs since it is also capable of handling their RF based outputs. Cheers.
I've been looking into this as well, to move into HT with my Arcam Delta 290 integrated and was wondering any sort of models folks might suggest in the painfully modest price range of a newlywed buying a new house (~$250 or less for something used). The Yamaha model i've read most about (DSP-E800) seems to be relatively unavailable here in the US. Thanks in advance.
Look for a TECHNICS SH-AC500 DD/DTS DECODER, they can be had for around $200 or less, pretty highly-rated unit when it came out.
John