How much do I need to spend to get a preamp that sounds better than no preamp?

Hello all.
I'm using an Audible Illusions L1 preamp and I think my system sounds better when I remove it from the signal path. Oppo BD105 directly to SMC Audio DNA1 Gold power amp. I have read that there is level of quality you need to hit before there will be an improvement in sound. I can't seem to find what that level is. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Ben
honashagen
you went off half-cocked, and initiated a thread on Stereophile no longer performing measurements even though it was completely incorrect.

Are you serious!!! (is this because I asked if you were a fuser.) that’s not even worth a response, but I will, as I asked a legitimate question as John Atkinson’s response shows??? And the measurements/test were not done with two reviews.
I simply asked "Tests???????"
https://www.stereophile.com/comment/574783#comment-574783

JA Quote: "It wasn’t possible for Larry Greenhill, who now lives in California, to ship this amplifier to New York in time for me to measure it.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/mark-levinson-no534-power-amplifier#Ibp132Sl19pHjucP.99

Cheers George
Ben,
Thank you for posting you inquiry.
It's not a matter of money.
More money won't necessarily buy you better sound. More often
than not, higher cost doesn't add to the sound quality, but more
to the looks of the thing.

Spending more may buy you a lot of decorative nonsense that doesn't
contribute one ounce of quality to the sound.  I possibly have breadboards
that may sound better than many of the chrome plated, glass enclosed, polished aluminum, powder coated concoctions that are sold daily as high end audio.
None of those add on decorations alter the sound in a positive way.  It's just fluff.

The cake taker, prize winning gullible buyer award, for absurdity goes to the claim that replacing the POWER CORD on a turntable with a $1500.00 power cord improved the sound. BS.  It definitely improved the financial position of the seller, but I have REAL SERIOUS DOUBTS that a power cord can make the highs crisper or the bass cleaner.
Defies physics.

The quality of a sound is the result of supplying a acoustical experience to ones ears that is more pleasing than other experiences that the person has experienced.  It may be different for each individual, however, MOST people, (possessing good hearing facility) will agree on a certain set of characteristics of an aural experience as being "quality".  

It is a matter of what you buy, and how it is designed. Not the amount of polished aluminum that it is included in the illusion.

What state and city are you in?
I would love to have your ears in my room for an hour if by shear dumb luck you are near me in Southern California.
bestdiyguy1 posts

That’s well put for a first time poster, I like your rationale behind most of what you said. I hope you can last in the "sometimes" cesspit of "snake oil" threads that pop up here.
 As there is too much "snake oil voodoo" on these pages that real designers/techs won’t endorse or go near.

And you know if those "snake oil" claims were posted on a forum where the likes of Nelson Pass, John Curl ect, ect, ect hang out like diyAudio.com the poster would get a new one ripped within the hour, and disappear in shame like many have had to do that I’ve seen.

Cheers George
Post removed