How important is the transport when using a DAC?

Hello,

I've been thinking lately, if my transport is extreme low-end, is having a nice DAC a waste of time? In other words, if I am using a $60 Sony DVD/CD player to deliver the digital signal through a coax cable to my Arcam r-Dac, is that not doing it justice? Do you recommend I upgrade my transport to better meet the quality of the DAC or does it not matter?

Thanks!
learyscott
Audioengr, In 1990 there was no such thing as a 15K preamp. For what it's worth, the same chip set used in that Tandberg CD player back then is highly desirable today for it's musicality. I think Philips was on to something when they were developing the CD. After all, in the mid 1980s, when CDs were being introduced, they had to compete with Vinyl and Reel to Reel tapes. Since those early days the sound of CD players have changed and not necessarily for the better, only different. Also, Your comment regarding any preamp costing less than 15K is considered inexpensive is ludicrous and I am totally against commercial users pushing their products on these threads.
Thanks for the responses guys, this has been a very interesting discussion to read through. There's a bunch of terminology that I am completely ignorant of that I have to investigate. But I think I may have answered my own question. I made a subtle upgrade to the transport and the connection and I am hearing a world of difference! I replaced the $60 dvd/cd player with a Playstation 2. I know this is splitting hairs, but I'm hoping theres a build quality difference considering theirs a several hundred dollar price difference. Also, I switched from using a coax cable with the cheapo dvd/cd player to a toslink cable with the PS2. This is my first time using toslink with my r-DAC. I think the overall presentation is softer and less ear-fatiguing. Very pleased with the outcome. Next up just gotta upgrade this vintage Pioneer SX-750....Cue the audiophile eye rolling!

-Scott
Slaving is only possible with a tiny set of sources and a tiny set of DACs that output master or word clocks. Thats why. Its also no guarantee of greatness. You are at the mercy of the DAC designer and the clock and clock circuit that he designed.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio