How important is the speaker/room interface?

In my years in this hobby, I've come to believe the speaker/room interface is one of the most important elements we face in building a satisfying audio system. And while it seems there is a growing realization of this point (emphasis on speaker placement and room design), I don't believe it yet receives the attention it deserves. For example, some folks who have never addressed the sonics of their listening rooms may spend weeks and significant money trying out different wires when a different speaker system and/or room treatments could provide far greater sonic improvements.

I have three friends who have the same make/model speaker as I own. I've listened to each of them with the same or similar amps, yet the sonic results are significantly different. The primary difference is the rooms -- volume, shape, construction, decoration, etc. So while I've made adjustments in my own speaker/room to improve it to a reasonable extent, I know my speakers could sound better in a more optimized room based on this experience. No change of sources, electronics, wires, tweaks, etc. could effect as much difference.

I'm thinking about this now since I just read the HFN history in "Sound Bites" by Kessler and Harris. In a 1994 interview by Ken Kessler with Peter Walker, Walker is ask what he believes still needs to be addressed in audio. His first response is the relationship of the speaker and room.

So, any thoughts as to why the speaker/room interface is not more universally considered the top priority in building a system?
pryso
05-21-08: Frank_sm said:
"I think it remains last on the list because of the WAF. It's hard enough to sneak a new turntable past the wife, let alone large bass traps, L.O.L."

That's not a minor point. I've got a work-around for this so long as your speakers aren't too heavy. Once we determined the optimal position for my speakers using the Sumiko Master Set method, then I carefully measured the positions in relation to the wall. Using a laser-line, rule with 1/16" increments and level, I'm able to replicate my setup for serious listening and, when I'm done, move the back to the high-WAF positions.

Dave
So, any thoughts as to why the speaker/room interface is not more universally considered the top priority in building a system?

Studios spend a fortune in this area with bespoke speakers built into walls in custom designed and treated rooms. Perhaps sound quality isn't really such a high priority for most audiophiles. Perhaps it is more of a gear collecting, displaying and trading kind of hobby.
While I can understand how the often mentioned WAF can be a major consideration even for those of us with very accommodating significant others it can be a case of just not knowing what is the right thing to do. It is just easier to change a wire or a component and listen for the improvement (or not) while probably the most important aspect, the speakers' interaction with the room is simply put in the too hard basket. I have experimented with positioning and am probably optimized now but I believe I still am not getting the best out of my system because of anomalies in my room which is not purpose built but dedicated to my system.

I have, however taken the plunge and gone with Acustica Applicata products in an attempt to fully realize my system's potential in my room. I have taken accurate measurements of my room and provided a drawing, photographs and a commentary about my set up and they have returned with what they believe is optimized positioning of their DAAD's based on computer modeling of reflections. I will have it set up in about 3 weeks so I'll let you know how it goes. Still a bit of a leap of faith for me.

By the way, I got my wife's OK prior to making the decision. Didn't know her eyebrows could go quite that high!
Post removed 
It is not one of the most important, it is THE most important. A poorly matched room can make a $100,000 system sounds like $5000 mid-fi.