How do you store a whole lotta LP's?

I'd like to put them in the living room next to the VPI cleaning machine and the turntable, and want it to look rather 'classy'....no milk cartons or anything like that acceptable.

Do you guys build racks, or buy them.... if so, where?

Got a few LP's now ....many more coming in the mail.
Heeeeeeeellllp. :))
jbatlanta
With the Ikea Ivar units, there is no backing to keep LPs from being pushed past the back end of the shelf. You have to either live with that issue and be careful in re-shelving, or you can mount a rail across the back side of the uprights about 5-6" above the top of the shelf.

I use some modular shelving (older, so not the Ivar) that has both 10 3/4" deep shelf units and 17" deep shelf units. Both work fine for storage. What I find is that the 17" shelves are nice for reducing the amount of dust that can accumulate on top of the LPs because they are further recessed. (I'm storing several thousand LPs, so rotation takes a while.) Also, there is space to the front of the 17" shelf to rest something or to set an LP face-forward temporarily pending re-shelving. The downside is that the lower shelves can be a bit difficult for viewing the LP spines due to that same recess. This would be exacerbated with 20" deep shelves.
I tend to agree with Albert if you have the room and you want it to look classy, take a wall and build media shelves.I have built all my furniture over the years and have found it may be a little more costly in the long run BUT YOU WILL GET WHAT (YOU) WANT!!! Here is a few portable ideas. Billy Bags # 6650 66w/16d/50h three shelves holds 1200lps $1399.00 The other is boltz its holds 180lps per shelf you can add up 4 shelves thats 720 lps for $669.00 you can also add casters on that one David.
I use IKEA "bonde" bookcases with the glass doors & these look very nice. They are 56" or so and each single bookcase can hold four rows of records. They are about 15" deep, which I find is ideal as it also allows me to use dividers to seperate the records. As they are modular & have been an IKEA staple for a while now, hopefully they will be around in the future for expansion.

Hope this helps

Steve
Bookshelves, 12" deep, w/ adjustable shelves. Dividers are non-corrugated posterboard 13" deep, labeled A, B, W-Z, etc.
I think IKEA http://ikea.com has some great choices for storing LP's from the Bonde unit mentioned to IVAR, etc. Check it out.