How do you get the "real" feel of music?

There is a certain "real" feeling that I get when I go to a live concert. It's more of "feeling" the music instead of "hearing" it. That feeling, I think, comes from percussion instruments. I'd like to get that feel in my home stereo but it's not there. In my home, snare drums don't pop, I don't feel the bass drum in my chest, and rim shots don't exist. Is there a way to get that presence in a small system?

I'm not rich, and I don't want to hear, "Scrap all your sorry equipment and get a Krell, Bryston and HSU..." so with that in mind, I've got a 12x16 room with:

Sony DVP-NS500 DVD
JVC HR-S5900 VCR
Harman Kardon AVR80 II as a pre-amp
Parasound HCA-1205 power amp

I have used
Definitive Technologies BP-6
Polk Audio R40, CS-175, and PSW-250
Bose Accoustimass 5
Bose R-41

Is there any hope?
beetle63
Go to the Dynavector website and look up Super Stereo. It explains why the most expensive stereo equipment still does not have the real "feel" of music. It also shows why audiophiles are forever pouring more money into their systems, but still not being satisfied with what they hear. Stereo equipment has come close to technical perfection. Unfortunately stereo companies have totally missed the point concerning what makes music realistic and satisfying. The great thing about this concept is that inexpensive speakers can produce results as good as larger more expensive ones.
there is a simple answer to your question.

the reason it's not like a live concert is because the stereo you have can not evoke the emotionality of the live performance. there is only one type of amplifier that can do this and that is a set.
I'm usually passive, but this time I must say something, sounds like you just want a real sounding system, and your getting the run-around from these audio_amateurs, and I like to help. Today's audio world gets 98% of the audio signal accurately, what is missing in the best systems is a realistic dynamic range and presence (ammount of energy in every frequency) the rest has been solved, like resolving power, timbre, sommothness while having enough detail, even most off the speed is there. In fact the industry hit a brick wall about 10 years ago, and the only thing that has improved is speaker quality but at a premium though!
BUT to achieve the MAGIC you seek at home, you must have some magic there to work with, that 1 or 2 magic things that bring your system together, find that magic, it might be a rare electrostatic speaker, a great open tube amp, tube pre-amp, a killer 6 foot tall dedicated power conditioner, or WIRES (I'll give you hints- without the right wire not one system will sound real, and there is almost no good wire other then MIT, HARMONIC TECH. MONSTER SIGMA, CARDAS, TARA LABS, maybe 1 or 2 more, sorry, I heard them all, and owned them all, and we are not talking about the cheap stuff here, but then there is EBAY) I have no problem hooking up a 800.00 used interconnect, to a consumer grade unit, as long as I get the desired results. Stay away from direct advice, and use your common sence. I built plenty of systems under 3 grand, that sound almost as good as my 50.000.00 reference rig that sounds 95% LIVE, and I have compared, but it took me 10 years to assemble it. All equipment is good, all high end is great, the rest is taste and SYMMETRY, and that overkill that will drive the system to the point where you want it, that magic that will break the barrier to the other side, which too me seems , very few have reached here. Is it accustics, power line, speakers, all of the above, I don't know each system is as unique as their owner, for me it was WIRES, without my wire collection, or the substitution of even 1 interconnect, robs my system of that resolving power, and the magic is gone, sounds like any other rack system, clean, but not real.
Me, I'm no one, I love music, I've been doing this all my life, I work in the industry, for probably the biggest retailer in the world, my job is simple, I set up stereo systems for the rich and famous, and make them sound REAL.
My customers worship me, and that's more satisfaction then any financial gain in this world. ENJOY THE MUSIC.
Sasha, what a beautiful post! When I started reading, I thought, prepared to be bored, well just another case of opinionated, self declared "expert" gibberish, however, what a joy, far, far from it! You are the first I've met, who openly stated, what I have also felt for quite some time, that apart from the hype, climbing to ever greater heights, there have been no essential breakthroughs in electronic design in the last 10 to 15 years. And yes, assembling a system which comes close to the real thing, you must be prepared to enter a labour of love which lasts for decades and actually never really ends....and you must know what the real thing sounds like. You must know it so intimately, that it is sort of engrained in your very being. Only then are you able to listen "right" and only then you will be in the position to appreciate the truth in every word you say, as regards speakers, wires, p.-conditioners et al...and the love for music, which is behind it all. As you say, dynamic range and presence from one end of the frequency sprectrum to the other, as well as what you call symmetry, are the things to strive for. It can be done, but in order to achieve this, you must both know and love live music in all its forms. Thanks Sasha for breaking you silence and sharing your experience with us! Cheers,
Yes indeed a beautiful post and not a shred of snobbery either.Cannot add much but listen to live music as much as possible all kinds of music in as many venues as possible and burn it into your soul.