How do you get the "real" feel of music?

There is a certain "real" feeling that I get when I go to a live concert. It's more of "feeling" the music instead of "hearing" it. That feeling, I think, comes from percussion instruments. I'd like to get that feel in my home stereo but it's not there. In my home, snare drums don't pop, I don't feel the bass drum in my chest, and rim shots don't exist. Is there a way to get that presence in a small system?

I'm not rich, and I don't want to hear, "Scrap all your sorry equipment and get a Krell, Bryston and HSU..." so with that in mind, I've got a 12x16 room with:

Sony DVP-NS500 DVD
JVC HR-S5900 VCR
Harman Kardon AVR80 II as a pre-amp
Parasound HCA-1205 power amp

I have used
Definitive Technologies BP-6
Polk Audio R40, CS-175, and PSW-250
Bose Accoustimass 5
Bose R-41

Is there any hope?
beetle63
Indiana & Bomarc above probably offer your only hope here. You want *dynamics* Beetle - that's what you're missing now, but don't despair because you can get that too. It will take some experimentation, but you can approach the dynamics of live music with the right speakers. Yes you can feel the music at my house, bathe in it, become involved in it, revel in it, not simply hear it.
My primary "secret" to live dynamics is horn speakers (Klipsch's horns) vs. the direct-radiator designs that have failed you. There are some other older horn offerings that also offer high sensitivity/efficiency, such as the old Altec's, JBL's & or perhaps even Cerwin Vega. Avantgarde has some fantastic new horn designs but they're pretty expensive even at used prices.
Some audiophiles advise against horns because of their shortcomings, yes they do have some horn coloration sound (that just takes awhile to get used to & then you hardly notice it) but the transient attack speed and dynamic impact more than make up for it. And looking at other affordable speaker designs (such as those you mentioned above) they all exhibit some shortcomings & compromise tradeoffs, so this charactaristic of horn speakers becomes just another of those; it's no big deal. Also, you can install some basic tweaks in your horns to fix the resonance issues, so again no big deal. I even have high-end crossovers modded for mine.
Try to get out to a shop that sells Klipsch & hear some of their newer designs. They're not as sensitive as the older classic LaScala's, Belle's, or K-horns, or even the Heresy, but have still been recommended by members here with higher end equipment. If you can find any way to audition the older classic Klipsch designs then you'll probably buy one.
Be advised that these horns, being so sensitive & revealing, will show you any shortcomings of your upline equipment. The balancing act is tricky, but when you eventually arrive at the right combination of equipment & cabling, you'll be thrilled I guarantee.
I would have to agree with Bob, I have klipsch KG4 ($225 horn, 2 8" mids and 12" radiator) series speakers with MIT cabling and the first thing I do when I come home is turn on the stereo and it stays on till I go to sleep, on weekends all weekend long. I listen to mainly spanish rock, and the klipsch I think really mate better with this genre of music than any other affordable (in my case) speaker that I auditioned. The klipsch really bring enjoyment (so much that I will never sell them) to listening and their dynamic punch makes you feel the music.
I agree with Indiana, although having enough clean power to drive the speakers is important too. However, and this is my opinion, I have never heard a natural sounding horn speaker in my life. I know of no good studio that uses horn monitors, and in fact the speakers I use go the the extreme oposite in design to get as far away from the horn or even box effect by putting the mids and tweeters in seperate smaller enclosures so the enclosure is not a factor at all. I am speaking about B&W 801's and 802's, which I would highly advise you listen to. The list of top rated studios that use these is almost endless. Tom
Sorry to condradict you Pe3046, but long ago, in a stereo system far, far away, I used to own a pair of KG4's. They were the most hopelessly colored speakers I have ever had to depend upon for my daily listening. Just all kinds of spurious artifacts, response anomolies, and general masking of musical information. Did it matter that they were fairly efficient? Sure, they rocked out more than the pair of little EPIs I left home with, but who would want to listen to this degree of error at a high volume anyway? About the only good thing I can say for them is that they looked pretty cool for the cheap price. I replaced them as soon as I could with pair Allison CD-8s, which sounded virtually like 801s after the KG-4s, which I'm sure are somewhere, still ringing from an impulse they received in about 1988! (Please don't extrapolate this criticism to the K-Horns, or other classic full-size Klipsch models.) In fairness to you, though, my current speakers are Thiel CS 2.2s - not the most dynamic in the world - so have at 'em!
Indiana Jones and Pbb have given good advice. Because I think (or imagine) that I know exactly what you mean, I would be more specific:

You are above all looking for sensitive (efficient) speakers with excellent dynamics and transient response. I'd recommend professional studio monitors, whether vintage or new: Altec 604s; a range of configurations from the JBL Professional line; Tannoy DMT 12 or 15s; certain Klipsch. My personal opinion is that dollar for dollar, Tannoy DMT would be your best bet. A clean, high-current amp will get the most out of the speakers. Overall, for what I'm guessing you spent on your current set-up, you could put together a quite satisfying system. Regards, Dr_joe.