How do you determine value & performance?

Hi All, I’ve been an active audiophile for about four decades. Over that time, I’ve owned products from many different companies and have done business with many “brick & mortar” shops and online merchants.  I’ve never had a truly bad audio experience except for damaged shipments, but my priorities for assessing value and performance have changed significantly over the years.  

In my early audio days I focused on the pursuit of sonic performance to the exclusion of most everything else. I was drawn to the latest “hot”products and the dealers that carried them. Considerations such as a product’s aesthetics, ergonomics, reliability, warrantee/service, resale value, etc. weren’t that important. Also, I wasn’t particularly concerned by an audio shop’s after sales support (general education, system trouble-shooting, etc.). Rather, I was concerned about two things - what products they offered and the competitiveness of their pricing. 

Today, a product’s non-sonic characteristics such as reliability, quality, aesthetics and resale value are at least as important to me as the product’s sonic performance. Similarly, the dealers that I’m drawn to today are those with strong reputations for honesty, dependability and high service levels and not simply those that carry the “hottest” products or those that offer the lowest price. 

How about you, what are your thoughts on determining whose products you purchase and which dealers you do business with?

Thanks, Mike. 

mfoley3
How do you determine value & performance?

It would seem to me the only answer would be in the opinion of whomever is doing a comparison between two or more like components that are new. I write new because the used market has other variables, such as the "condition". And new means in a manufacturers unopened carton. Also, value in my opinion means taking both "quality" (subjective and objective) and price into consideration. Further, price should be what you actually pay, not necessarily MSRP.
Thanks to all for your thoughts. I hadn’t previously realized it, but I do have a mild bias against products made in China because I consider them a direct competitor to our nation. Nonetheless, I will continue to purchase Chinese products when the value to price ratio is very high. 

I too have favorite dealers and product manufacturers. Spearit Sound (located in Northampton MA) recently closed due to the owner’s retirement after many years in business. Their service and advice were stellar and over the years I became good friends with Jack Tozzi who was with Spearit since it’s inception. Recently, I’ve done business with NextLevel AV (located in Chicago IL) and I’ve also become friends with Tyler & Dana Meueller NextLevel’s owners because their service is excellent and they are so personable. 

From a product standpoint my experience with CJ (Conrad Johnson) has been outstanding, although after several decades of CJ ownership, I have moved away from tubed equipment to solid state due to a move to a much warmer climate. A big part of my CJ loyalty was due to product reliability and their terrific service. Another company from which I’ve received exemplary service and am very pleased with the product’s quality is Tri-Planar. They are a very small company whose only products are tone arms. The owner/designer/technician is Tri Mai and his level of personal assistance and service have been extraordinary. 

As I consider what I’ve written, it dawns on me that the personality and the friendship of the people at the dealers and manufacturers I choose to do business with are key part of why I choose to do so. I guess that shouldn’t be a surprise. 

Mike