How do you determine how much to spend on speakers

Hello all,

I am just starting out in this HI-FI stuff and have a pretty modest budget (prospectively about 5K) for all. Any suggestions as to how funds should be distributed. At this stage, I have no interest in any analog components. Most notably, whether or not it is favorable to splurge on speakers and settle for less expensive components and upgrade later, or set a target price range and stick to it.

Thanks
krazeeyk
Cjsmithmd,
I have to say that your post is one of the most sane and helpful and insightful and practical posts I have ever read. Somehow in reading it, I drew larger lessons about life, about career choices, etc ... You seem to say, just start, do some research, understand that the journey will take time, make adjustments, learn what you like, move toward what you like, understanding all along that you will never achieve perfection ... and enjoy yourself as much as you can along the way ... man, a great philosophy of life! ... thanks! ..
Wow, Wattboss, you're welcome!

Yes, I really like this hobby - it does integrate well into my life.
I think I remember reading that the speakers should be at least 50% of the cost of the entire system. It was a while ago, but it mentioned that speakers don't really wear out before our ears get used to and bored with them. After 20 years of this hobby I was finally able to do that, it did make more of a difference than I ever thought possible and I am only up to Wilson Audio X-1 Series lll's. The next step is the X-2's.
Todd
Opticaltee,

Hmmmm... you must be as old as me :)

I remember the 50% rule from way back in the Stereo Review Days!!

The problem with this guidance is that one might find a 4K speaker that meets sonic needs, space considerations, WAF etc. It may not be nonsense to pair them with a 3K amp 2K pre and 3k front end.... you get my point.

I like to advise beginners to spend as much as they can to get speakers they like and build from there.

But then I don't bore easily!
I used to be in the "spend the most on the speakers camp" however, as of today, and but for my interconnects and speaker wire, my speakers are the least expensive item in a 23K rig..(msrp of course), the breakdown as follows:

Speakers: Devore Fidelity Gibbon Super 8s ($4K)
Front End: Naim CDX2 w/ XPSII and damping by Symposium ($11K)
Electronics: Edge G3 ($5.3K)
Cables all Acoustic Zen: ($2.5K)

By far the most enjoyable system I have owned. But, I will say that I am going to move to a larger more full speaker, most likely the DeVore Silverbacks....then I guess I have to retract this posting.

John