How do you determine how much to spend on speakers

Hello all,

I am just starting out in this HI-FI stuff and have a pretty modest budget (prospectively about 5K) for all. Any suggestions as to how funds should be distributed. At this stage, I have no interest in any analog components. Most notably, whether or not it is favorable to splurge on speakers and settle for less expensive components and upgrade later, or set a target price range and stick to it.

Thanks
krazeeyk
Sean,
I was just responding to the statement prior to mine, saying that it took "guts" for Dave Wilson to put on the demo.
I completely agree with you about "know how vs. the dollars spent."

I personnally altered my speakers according to instructions by someone far smarter than I. They now, in my opinion will beat out speakers costing five times as much. I also purchased an SACD player that, when tweeked, far beat out CD players costing more that two or three times as much.

Richard
lots of different points of view on here bout the way things should be...its hard to make up your mind reading it all.
this is what i did
i'd narrow your field of searching by finding out what particualar brands suit the music you listen to first off.
first off i chose an amp in my price range that suited my music i listen to(fast pace-toe tapping and plenty of head room for detail and bottom end and also volume ect)...i also like NO features real basic....i feel an amplifier is the HEART of the rig.
then the speakers...i wanted a monitor pair because they are more accurate for music to me( a sub may come later).....again find a pair that deal with rock music not classical(my preference)...do i want my speakers to calm my amp down or stay foward>? i choose to stay FOWARD!..i found a nice pair made by the same manufactor as my amp so i was lucky...i liked the sound,they were punchy detailed ect ect...
now i got a cd player that wasnt expensive but had reaped many many awards as a top shelf budget player....i chose one that was just a tad layed back than the rest of the system,jus to add warmth ect.........
added some cables...IC'S were $160 each..took a whle to find a matched cable...every thing but nordost made my rig sound like the tone knob was set fully anticlockwise..
so the price of my speakers and amp were the same and the cd player was a bit cheaper....
i would like to see what a nicer CDP would sound like running in this rig......
this hobby gets addicting and seems to take all my time up..i dont think it'll ever end either
(In my opinion) They are the most crucial component for the sound you will achieve.

Next piece of advice is to get used components and speakers.

First, as mentioned above, go listen, listen, listen, to as many high-rated speakers to find out what sound pleases YOU with the music you like. Take your own music so you can compare speakers with music your used to and know well.

People who buy high-end equipment tend to take care of their stuff, and speakers don't have much wear issues if not overdriven.

When you know what you like, start saving, because it's still going to cost more than you want to spend. That's the nature of the beast.

Have fun. The joy of anticipation and seeking knowledge is priceless. Enjoy the journey as well as the destination.

You might consider a kit like the Linkwitz Orion's or some other serious home-built speaker system as well.

My original point was the difference between electronic components doesn't take much to get into diminishing returns for additional dollars, but you won't be happy unless you know the speakers you buy are your favorites in your price range. They may be the most similar sounding to your favorite money-is-no-object speaker.

Frank