How do I dampen my listening environment?

I finally pulled out the carpet in my music room and restored the original maple flooring. I love the way it looks but with plaster and hardwood, I have a cave-like sonic envirenment. Beyond rugs and carpets, does anyone have ay ideas about developing my room acoustics? I really need to take the bright edge down.
Thanks!
larseand
I think it was me that mentioned the mirror thing. I did a lot of research on the subject, forgot most of it. It's not seeing the light reflected, it's being able to see the tweeter's reflection in the mirror. You have someone move the mirror across the wall at the heighth of the tweeter. Once you can see the tweeters reflection in the mirror, that's where the panel goes. This works for the second reflection point as well. You can treat you ceiling with panels but it's going to have to be the ceiling or the floor. No way getting around it.The idea of heavy curtains, book shelves loaded with books, bass traps in the corners can all make a huge difference and become very expensive as well. You really need to throw an area rug and nice pad down though. I can't imagine you're ever going to be completely happy without it.
The mirror idea is a proven method but hardly necessary. Ever go for a bank shot when shooting pool? Simple geometric principle, like a bank shot on a pool table. I think I'll bring a mirror along to my next match.
Make it easy on your self. Call Auralex, they have an engineer who will lay out the room for you. By doing it your self, your subjecting your self to years of questioning. This way once you install it your done. From that point forward it is all about the equipment. And, yes I have Acoustats with Auralex, excellent results in the >$1K range.