Horn Speakers

After owning many different systems over the past 20 yrs or so, I’m coming to the realization that what I like most (at least right now) is lifelike dynamics, the kind that will make you jump.

I owned Maggies for several years. I love their big open sound, but missed the “punch” of dynamic speakers. About 3 yrs ago I went to Vandersteen’s, currently 3A’s. They still have that open sound and do offer some “punch”, not a ton, but some. Going to Nuforce amps gave the Vandies a little more kick, but I’m still missing the lifelike dynamics that I’ve heard with some horn speakers. The problem is, the horn speakers I’ve heard are a bit shouty & harsh.

My question, is there a reasonably priced horn speaker that offers the dynamics I’m missing, with a smoother, more refined sound? Used speakers are fine, I’m open to doing some mods (cross-overs, damping, etc) budget is $1500 +/-.
ecruz
Cornwalls blow away the heresys. Much bigger and more money...
Have you considered electrostatics like Soundlabs? They may be out of your budget?
I owned Martin-Logans at one time. Don't know how they compare to the Soundlabs, but I liked the Maggies better than the Logans.
I would be interested in some horns too but the ones I have heard (low end Klipsch) were horrible. I always see the older Klipsch recommended for rock but isn't there something with a little better WAF that sounds as good for rock music that would offer the same dynamics? Doesn't seem to be.
Klipsch reference series are good, look at older Cornwalls, heresy or belle klipsch. May be prone to hum since they are so efficient.
If you have two good corners in your room, I would recommend trying for a local pair of Khorns. Otherwise, a pair of Belle Klipsches could be had for your price range.

There are many good discussions and expert advices on Klipsch forum:

http://forums.klipsch.com/Forums/

Good luck.