High Powered Wireless Network for Audio

I have frustratingly low signal strength and erratic performance with the wireless network in my house.

The culprit may be a combination of 1) ordinary Verizon DSL service and 2)a wireless G router? and/or 3) brick chimneys and concrete block within the walls of the house?

To hopefully improve, I am switching to a faster cablem modem service from Cablevision which I will install by my desk for at least a robust connection there.

Could anyone please recommend a wireless router for maximum range and signal strength? Has anyone used any wireless boosting devices? In Stereophile, I have just noticed Gigabit Powerline HD - could this be a better solution?

What is the best way to ensure a robust connection and trouble free streaming on multiple devices?
cwlondon

The notes contained herein on your router being the propulsive engine for your inter home operations is true.

The DSL aspect only would apply to those machines drawing directly from the internet some audio of video stream (s), or other info/data.

Merely playing video or audio files from some networked drive on the premises and conveying it to some other networked pc or mac, has noting to do with DSL speeds, thru put, etc. that’s all on your NIC cards/wireless adapters in your various wirelessly connected and networked hardware.

Please see:

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelessrouters/f/bestwifirange.htm

80211G is fast enough to handle most any file type, IF CONFIGURED PROPERLY in the network adapter of the computer or device itself… and there’s no physical barriers to overcome via the signal broadcast freq.

What I think you need is either a stronger signal producing wireless router, or maybe, just a better antenna for the one you now have… or for the units trying to cnnect to it.

I’d also look into repositioning my wireless router. I’ve used D link in the past with pretty good results. I’m with FIOS and now have their Westell all in one router, modem, etc. only right in my office will I experience any issues usually…. That’s where the Westell unit resides. Otherwise, I can stream/watch DVDs off a NAS drive via every pc I own now, any place inside or within reason, outside the home smoothly…. Even with my 1.8GB CPU laptop running Vista!

For a time, I had a desktop using a D link USB wireless device. it was fine too in terms of connectivity and responsiveness.

Think about moving the router first, instead of replacing it. Look into the better antenna idea too. going up to N also means changing out NIC cards in each networked device… if that is possible to begin with… and not just the router itself!

Good luck.
CW,

In addition to the excellent suggestions offered above, you may want to consider the idea of having a wired router, and a separate wireless access point, which in turn would be wired to the router. Depending on the physical locations of your networked devices, it may be very helpful to have the greater flexibility that would provide in terms of wireless access point positioning, and perhaps antenna orientation as well.

I too use Cablevision's Optonline service, btw, and it is fabulous. I pay a bit extra for their Optimum Boost option, which advertises 30 mbps downstream/4 mbps upstream. At my location in Connecticut it handily betters those speeds, usually giving me about 32 and 5, as measured via the Speakeasy.net speed test. As you may be aware, Cablevision also offers 100 mbps downstream speeds (!), although at much greater cost.

Keep in mind also that with an always-on high speed cable connection, firewall protection (via either hardware or software) assumes added significance. I prefer a hardware firewall, in part because it eases the burdens on the computers, and in part because the models from SonicWall are extremely good, although relatively expensive.

My home network pre-dates -N, and is all 54G. I use a SonicWall TZ170 hardware firewall/wired router, which cost about $450 a few years ago. Comparable current models, at similar or lower prices, are considerably more powerful than the TZ170, which has served me beautifully. See the listings and prices at NewEgg.com.

I use a 54G wireless access point and signal amplifier from Hawking Technology, which I have also been very pleased with, in terms of range, speed, and the ability to handle multiple wireless devices simultaneously. I have no knowledge of their -N products, but I would expect them to be well worth looking into.

Best regards,
-- Al
I had much improved results going to an Airport Extreme (which is wireless N) from a G router. The N router has different wave lenghths (compared to the G) that allow it to pass through walls more easily. Before I had very little signal upstairs, and after the switch I have a very strong signal upstairs.
CW,

802.11g is fast enough (45Mb/s). Even 802.11b would be OK (11Mb/s) for internet since the best you'll get from DSL will be in 3Mb/s range. I noticed that my microwave frequency is identical to one of the router frequencies. When microwave is working - wireless doesn't. I moved to next channel and everything is fine now but moving to 5GHz range, as suggested by Ballan, is perhaps right move. Unfortunately my MACmini works only with G. PC is easier since you can change wireless card easily.
Hi Kij,

The 45 and 11 mbps numbers you mentioned for 802.11G and B are highly theoretical, and useful for advertising purposes only. In practice getting 1/3 of those numbers is doing well.

That is a common point of confusion, in part because many (or all?) computers, depending on the operating system, will misleadingly indicate G connections as being connected at 54 mbps (the theoretical maximum), and B connections as being connected at 11 mbps (also the theoretical maximum).

To get an idea of the real speed, either measure the time required to transfer a large file over the wireless link, or if you have a high speed cable connection to the internet compare internet speed test results (such as those provided at Speakeasy.net) from a wired computer with those you get from a computer that is wirelessly connected to the same router and cable modem.

Best regards,
-- Al