High End Audio Equipment, Status Symbol?

I was reading some other forums, about why High end audio is or is not a status symbol. I prefer it not to be or we would be having systems like the one below.

Saleen P-675 Pre-Amp
Saleen A-6500 7 Channel Amplifier
Rolex Venom Type 4 Interconnects
Rolex Diamondback Speaker Cable
Lexus FRS-9000 Electrostatic Loudspeakers
Lexus SS8 Surround Speakers
Lexus CP-8 Center channel
Dachati VVX-9 CD Transport
Aston Martin V-9 DVD/DVD-A/SACD/MP3/CDR/CDRD
Bentley 75' MX-1 Plasma UHDTV (Ultra High Def Tv)
Lockheed Martin DBS-50, 5000w 24in Depthcharge Subwoofer
Audi MS-2004 Master Remote Control System
Northrup Grummann PSS9000 Stage 10 Power Filter/conditioner
audiophanatik
I don't know about this status symbol stuff. It can give you a buzz, but my experience is that it only means anything to people on these threads and a few guys in the business locally. Most of my friends wouldn't know levinson from pioneer. Usually they ooh and aah looking at the setup. I could put a bunch of junk on my neat racks and they would think I had a million dollar operation. Most of them tell me about these great bose speakers they have I usually respond that if they like em then they must be right for them. If its status symbol is when someone buys a system full retail without a clue as to what they have for the purpose of showing it off to their friends.
For whatever reasons I don't think hi-fi does equate as a status symbol-it simply does not feature in populist terms.
If you look at lifestyle type magazines the hi-fi stuff that is featured is picked for it's design or it's minimilist trendy styling and they are nearly always systems not seperates.
Other items such as cars,watches,clothes etc. do equate because they feature status -wise in a much more easily identifiable way--i.e the herd identifies with it.
Consider this a classic retro-style car could/would be seen as cool-can you imagine a Linn Sondek with a tube amp and Quad speakers being seen as cool?
Only to a very select few.
Don't get me wrong,an awful lot of hi-fi was and still is both aesthetically pleasing and wonderfully designed but it is too esoteric for the masses.
Again that's not to say the look of our equipment doesn't play a major part for audiophiles-consciously or sub-consciously.
Nor does it say that some audiophiles haven't compromised "quality" for practicality or looks.
Not to be a spelling snob, but:

Dachati should be Ducati
Northrup Grummann should be Northrop Grumman

Now, sign me up for the Bentley 75' plasma. I will put it in our cul-de-sac and charge admission.

Steve
Ben makes a good point. Most non-audiophiles think Bose and Bang Olufsen represent high and audio, and wouldn't have a clue as to what any of the gear in my rack is. Well...sometimes I don't either!

There is a certain inherent snob factor in our hobby just because of the high cost relative to what other people spend. But without the cache and instant brand recognition you get with Ferrari or Rolex, high end audio doesn't quite get there.

Now excuse me, I have to go order my full titanium Grand Prix Audio racks finished in SR71 pebbled Stealth paint.
Oh, come on. The high-end has it's status symbol name brands. And we know it!!

We just don't dare mention the name brands for fear of being attacked by the hounds of hell.

-IMO