Help with Bang & Olufsen Beogram RX

I recently received a Beogram RX in really great condition from a family friend. It plays the newer heavyweight vinyl albums perfectly, but anything else it plays with a lot of static --- even the ones that are in mint condition.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what the problem might be? I really don't know anything about record players, and since I'm a pretty casual listener, I'm hoping to find a cheap fix for this, definitely less than $100. Right now it has an original MMC-3 cartridge on it.

Thanks for the help!
blnd2spll
Thanks for the cleaning suggestions. In case it is a problem with the cartridge, do you know any cheap alternatives to the MMC3 cartridges? Is it possible to just replace the stylus rather than the whole cartridge?
Dear Blnd2spll: You have to clean the stylus cartridge too and then see it through a microscope or similar tool to identify if the stylus is in good condition.
If is in good condition I can't imagine how the cartridge could be the culprit, at least I never read or experienced something about.

Cheap alternative?, I don't think you need it. If something wrong with the stylus when you see it by the microscope then you have to send the cartridge to Soundsmith to re-tip.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
I have a Beogram 1102 that I bought at the local market for £4. I works well but the stylus is spent. I wasn't willing to have the MMC 20S retipped so I converted it to take Ortofon OM stylus. The results were great and all working fine. I know the purists out there will be horrified but the results are better than I had expected. I do have a spare Tonearm just in case it has to be put back to it's original state.