Help With 60Hz Hum PLEASE

Greetings,

I am having some issues with noise coming through my speakers at low volume. The noise sounds like a 60hz cycle hum, and can be heard clearly when the volume is all the way down. I have tried several things to quiet down this noise, but nothing has worked so far.

Before I give details of action items I have tried, let me inform you of the components I am running.

My system consist of:

·     AV PRE/PRO MARANTZ 8801

·     AMP ADCOM GFA-7805

·     SONY 300 DISC CD CHANGER

·     SPEAKERS B&W CDM9NT/CDM CNT/CDM1NT

·     SUB VELODYNE SPL1000 SERIES II (NOT HOOKED UP AT THIS TIME)

·     USING XLR INTERCONNECTS BETWEEN PRE-AMP AND AMP (MONO PRICE)

·     DEDICATED OUTLET CONNECTED TO 20AMP CIRCUIT BREAKER

·     FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER (EVERYTHING PLUGS INTO THIS)

·     I SEGREGATE OUT THE AC POWER LINES FROM THE SIGNAL AND SPEAKER CABLES

So this is what I have done to check the system so far.

1.   First off I separated all of the components power sources, plugging each component into its own outlet with the amp plugged into the dedicated outlet. (NO CHANGE, NOISE PRESENT)

2.   Unplugged any no essential item leaving just the pre-amp and amp plugged in (NO CHANGE, NOISE PRESENT)

3.   Removed the amp from the system, plugged in single source and speaker set (NOISE IS COMPLETELY GONE!!!)

a.   FOR ABOVE TEST I USED MY IPHONE WITH A SET OF RCA INTERCONNECTS STRAIGHT TO THE AMP.

i.   I really suspected the amp at first because about a year ago I had the unit repaired for a standby condition. The repair center I used also repaired the CENTER CHANNEL BOARD while they had the unit. I noticed that the center channel has almost no noise coming through, but after the previous findings I decided this might be a symptom not the cause of the noise.

4.   Hooked back up system and tested (CRAP, THE NOISE IS BACK)

5.   Unplugged all of the XLR interconnects from pre-amp side (NOISE IS GONE, YEAH!)

6.   Plugged in one interconnect into pre-amp (noise comes through that channel)

7.   Switched between XLR and UNBALANCED (THE UNBALANCED CONNECTION WAS A BIT WORSE)

My conclusion is that something is happening between my pre-amp and amp that is allowing this 60hz signal though. I am wondering if it could be the interconnects themselves because I am not using a high quality interconnect. All I am using is Mono Price XLR cables. Although, why would there be no noise when the cable is plugged into the amp and not the pre-amp? Might the Marantz 8801 be the culprit due to the fact that when I plug in the cable into the pre-amp is when the noise comes through? Or maybe my first instinct was correct in that the amp is the problem?

Any help figuring this out is appreciated.

Thank You Kindly,

Joe

jo3533
I suppose a Faraday Cage effect is a possible explanation, but a couple of factors seem to suggest otherwise.  First, the problem didn't seem to be sensitive to the positions of the components, which lessens the likelihood that EMI pickup (that would be prevented or minimized by a Faraday Cage) was responsible.  Second, a similar shielding effect was apparently present all along, since the two chassis had always been interconnected via the shield of the XLR cables.  The shields of the cables having apparently been connected to the chassis of each component both via pin 1 and via the jumpers in the cable which connected pin 1 to the shells of the connectors.

Putting my previous speculation in more general terms, I suspect basically that the grounding approaches in the two components, possibly in combination with some condition-related issue (such as a leaky line filter capacitor), somehow caused an interaction between the two components resulting in small (and perhaps expectable) amounts of AC leakage to chassis in one of the components (perhaps occurring via stray capacitances in a power transformer or via a leaky line filter capacitor) to be seen by the amp as signal.

Best regards,
-- Al

Putting my previous speculation in more general terms, I suspect basically that the grounding approaches in the two components, possibly in combination with some condition-related issue (such as a leaky line filter capacitor), somehow caused an interaction between the two components resulting in small (and perhaps expectable) amounts of AC leakage to chassis in one of the components (perhaps occurring via stray capacitances in a power transformer or via a leaky line filter capacitor) to be seen by the amp as signal.

That was my thought several posts ago. But then if that was the case Joe would have heard a 120Hz hum wouldn’t he have? And connecting the signals grounds of the Adcom to the chassis of the Marantz would not have stopped the hum, imo.

I think your response in your previous post is more likely the reason for the hum/buzz problem and the fix Joe came up with. The only thing I might add is we don’t know if Joe tried every separate channel of the Adcom to see if every one had the hum when connected to the Marantz.

Joe bought the Adcom used in a non working condition. If I remember Joe said the whole Adcom amp was dead. He had the amp repaired and the repair tech told Joe the center channel was the problem. Joe remembers the tech said he replaced the bridge rectifier in the power supply of the center channel.

We really don’t know the full extent of the damage to the center channel. We do know all of the 5 channels of the amp are fed by a common power transformer. Just a guess the center channel fault event caused the primary of the power transformer to overload and caused the overload protection of the amp to open.

I would like to know if any of the thermistors were damaged or blown open by the center channel fault event.

Al said:
Although I’ll add that if the modules in the Adcom conform to the photo you supplied (as opposed to the schematic), as we said earlier it would appear that the Adcom’s analog ground (which is common with the ground sleeves of the RCA connectors) is connected to XLR pin 1 through a thermistor. And if that is the case then the solution Joe arrived at resulted in a reduction of the impedance between the Adcom’s analog ground and the chassis of the Marantz Pre/Pro (which you had indicated is common with the signal ground of the Marantz), from whatever impedance the thermistor has during normal operation to essentially zero. The introduction of that more direct connection between the signal grounds of the two units would seem consistent with a reduction or elimination of hum, that might have been caused by small amounts of AC leakage to chassis in either component.

So I guess the only way to find out for sure is for Joe to pull the Adcom back out of the rack and check for the thermistor in position R47 on each of the 5 channels and check if they show conductivity.

LOL, good luck with that happening anytime soon.

Cheers,

Jim

So, summing this up quick. Heeellllll NO! (Im not taking my AMP out again for some time, I hope)

I spoke with the local stereo shop and the sales man there told me they had a similar experience with Sherborne AMP.  Sherborne told them to do the same thing I did to my Adcom. This statement was followed by the salesman slamming both companies saying "why can't they build a true balanced system." He went on to say that the amps were not truly balanced and so on with some other things I forget because I tuned him out realizing he has never studied the circuits of either amps and thusly not in a position to make an educated statement.

On to some good news. I purchased my Sony XBR75X850C today! I am so excited to receive it. I ordered it online.

So, time to start saving for my OPPO-105D........any one got one for sale at a reasonable price?   
So it has been a couple weeks and everything is running great!

Thank you all for your help again!
I'm afraid it's the amp. Probably a bad filter capacitor. Get it repaired or buy a different one. 

If your system can take it, switch to 240V can help.