Help Where to start with jazz?????

The last couple of weeks I've become hooked to a radio statio called KCSM in San Mateo, CA. I love every song, all day all night. Where do I start diving into this new genre? Jazz is my last undiscovered territory. I want it all! What do you recommend??? Please no smooth jazz!!!
budrew
Also -- do you want a complete education in jazz, or were you just looking for a few suggestions as a starting place? It is easy to get overwhelmed,
especially if you believe you have to have jazz from every period and start out with the thought that you are going to build a complete collection, which would mean purchasing around three or four thousand albums -- where to start? That's why I gave you five or six to get you started in one period -- try not to get overwhelmed. Also, a great way to get some exposure, believe it or not, is to go to Amazon -- they have a feature that will let you listen to 30
seconds to a minute of some of the songs on each album. While it isn't perfect, you can sample a lot of music that way in a short period of time.
If you are really interested in the whole picture, its best to accept it as a continuum. The very best way that I know to hip yourself to this is the Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz. It features essential recordings from the beginning of recorded jazz to the present. By listening to the selections in order you can develop a sense of the organic development of the music, and how it has adopted influences from other strains of contemporary music, from classical to hip hop. The supporting documentation is also superb. Its also a superb introduction to other superior recordings as it includes a detailed discography. Indispensible!
Check out "Bird and Diz". Charley Parker and Dizzy Gillespie with Thelonius Monk on piano. Good introduction to the Bop scene.
I *currently* have a pair of MartinLogan SL3s with my DNA 1/B and they sound wonderful, especially on jazz, vocals, strings, etc. I've heard better for rock, but these are still fairly punchy.

Unfortunately we're downsizing and they won't work in the new house. I've got a potential buyer coming by tomorrow, but drop a line if you're interested and I'll let you know if they're still available.