Help! Need tube preamp to finish system.

I've been working on putting together a good stereo system for about 2+ years now and would like opinions/advice on what I consider to be maybe THE MOST important part of a good rig; the preamp. My system consists of the following starting with the front ends: Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1, Ah! Tjoeb 99', Sim Audio P-4001 class A linestage w/external power supply, Marchand XM126-2AA vacuum tube crossover w/external power supply, McIntosh MC275 for bass duties, Mesa Baron for the stats, Kinergetics SW800 subs and Martin Logan CLS II's. Discovery powercords (where able) and DH Labs interconnects and speaker cables throughout. I don't need any suggestions of pre's with processor loops as I already have a decent rig for the HT thing. All advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, March
marchman
Hi Marchman, I must agree that the MOST important component in a system is the PREAMP. Over the past few months, I have been auditioning a number of top quality pre-amps in my home including: Pass Labs XO , ML 380s (solid state) CAT SLIII Ultimate, BAT, Hovland HP100 (tube) I feel I had a good representation from tube and SS. Anyway, my recommendation is for you to check out the little known HOVLAND HP100 which to my ears is the most neutral and musical of the lot.
Hi march, Don't forget about a phono stage.If you are going to get into analog like we discussed you may want to get a pramp with phono.I had a Lehmann Black Cube which retails for $700.00 This has been a rage for a while and is a Stereophile Class B in the recommended componant list.When I got my Rogue 99 my dealer sent me the 99 with phono.I wanted to compare the Black Cube and Rogue Phono.The Rogue won but not by much.BUT since then I have purchased NOS Telefunkins and Radiotechniques and this has made this phono stage a killer.If the cube is a Class B then I now have a solid class A phono stage.And for less cost of a new cube.That said I would buy a Rogue 99 with phono and add NOS when you can.This preamp is the best there is for under 4 grand.Call Mario,The dealer I have spoken to you about.He will give you the best price.The Rogue blows away the Audible Illusions 3A and most other Preamps out there.E=mail me or call me if you want more info.about the Rogue.Don't buy till you check out the Rogue!!
It doesn't sound to me if you're playing LP's, and if not, I'd use a PASSIVE preamp. I have an SFCD-1 like yours and a CAT SL-1 III, with factory-simplified signal path (switches taken out of circuit), and my homemade passive preamp built around Shallco "true ladder" attenuators, beats the CAT very clearly in transparency, detail, background silence. It helps to use good wire in the passive; I can advise on that. If you do play LP's, I'm selling an Anthem Pre-1. Its designer ABed it against the Audible Illusions Modulas 3 and reported to me that it won hands down on every sonic count.