Has anyone heard the Shunyata Cables?

I'm looking for opininions of people who have heard or have heard of the Shunyata speaker cables and interconnects the Lyra and the Aries. I am currently using Cardas Golden Cross speaker cable and interconnects from Pass Labs X250 to Hales Transcendence 5's and Pass X1 pre to Pass X250 and Talk Thunder CDP to Pass X1. I am thinking of going the Shunyata route.Any inputs or advice would be geatly appreciated.
128x128mitchb
Gbmcleod, I listen almost exclusively to acoustic instrument recordings, primarily jazz, classical, bluegrass, and some new age. Jazz big band at a reasonably high, but not deafening, volume is the acid test for me. It tests the balance of each part of the spectrum all at once. I am a former trombone player, and am very sensitive to the tonality of brass instruments. If it sounds harsh, edgy, or thin sounding at all I notice it. For me, instrument tonality is more important than the ultimate level of detail (but you have to have some of that, too).

Besides big band, solo trumpet, violin, and soprano sax can also sound unbelievably bad if there is any brightness in the chain. These instruments seem to produce a lot of harmonics which shows up harshness easily. Of course cymbals and triangles can give you an idea of the absolute level of the high frequencies and are valuable references also.

You're right, it is really tough to isolate the offending component when there are so many variables in the chain. In my experience of auditioning cables, I have found they make as much difference in the sound as any electronic component. When you think you have achieved a neutral and accurate sound, its hard to know if you did it by having all neutral components or if they simply complement each other well.

The only way I know of ascertaining which components are neutral is by trying out many types of each component in your system. Persistent colorations will stand out using this approach. For instance I know my speakers have a slightly soft treble. This is because after trying many combinations of components, this coloration has persisted. However, if the other components are very neutral, it is not a problem. It is only a problem if another soft component is in the chain, which exaggerates the coloration.

If you want to try some other ICs to see if your hardness problem persists I would suggest the following cables. None of these is perfect, but they are all basically neutral instead of acting as tone control cables.

Audience AU24 - the most neutral I've heard in the bass and mids. It has a soft treble, though, which was not compatible with my speakers.

Cardas Neutral Reference - Slightly warm in the mid-bass, but overall nicely balanced. One of these somewhere in the chain gives instruments their natural resonant sound, but two of them is a bit too much mid-bass. Far more neutral than Cardas Golden Reference.

Nordost Valhalla - Similar to Cardas NR except the lower bass and mid-bass is very slightly lean. Overall probably the best balanced cable I've tried but the others are so close, I don't think it's worth the money.

Nirvana S-X - Sounds almost identical to Cardas NR, but costs 3x as much.

Luminous Audio Sychestra Signature - slightly soft in the upper octave, but overall well balanced. The RCA version has less roll-off than the XLR version. The RCA version is a very dimensional cable. Soundstaging is among the best I've heard.

Good luck.
Nighthawk:
I agree with the tonality statement. I have never been that interested in "detail" for its own sake: I'm listening to music, not "sound." It seems to me that there is a great deal of focus on aspects of sound more than on the musical experience, although, of course, one leads to the other.
I'm suspecting, since the volume level is exactly the same even with a different preamp, amp, inteconnects and CD player, that it is the Hale Rev 3s. I remember asking before I bought them if they were "bright" and was told no, they weren't. Yet, I perused a thread (later on, when I used this site more) of the former owner, and unless I misinterpreted his threads, he indicated that the speaker could be a bit bright. So much for getting it straight.
Nonetheless, I suspect it is the speaker doing it, so I'll have to lug a pair of Sound Dynamic RTS 3s out of storage and listen to the system on that to see if the brightness on brass is still there. I don't recall hearing any edginess on my Audio Artistry Speakers (also stored in the shed)on the Mercury Living Presence CDs when I heard them years ago, but...
I don't think its the Shunyatas, as, with the system wired with the Nordost Quattro Fils, the same effect exists. And, I put a Modulus 3A in yesterday, and heard close to the same effect, so, unless the Hurricanes,First Sound Presence ('96 vintage), Marsh A400S, Arcam, PS Audio Power Plant et al have the exact same weakness, with nearly the exact same degree (and volume!) of edginess, it is likely the speakers.
I still like the Hales, but it's the last time I buy used speakers on Audiogon.
Thanks for the suggestions on interconnects, but between the Nordost and Shunyatas, I may want to listen to speakers first (now, where are those Sound Dynamics??)...
The best cable in the world.I tried lot of hi-end cables over the 20 years,last one was Transparent reference.Aries is simply the best,like no cable in the system.My current system:Audio Aero Capitole mkII cd player directly into the C-J Premier 12,Audio Physic Virgo II,A.P.Luna active subwoofer,API Power C.116,speaker cables-TA Reference,DNM solid core cable for Luna.Shunyata sidewinder gold power for Audio Aero+T.A.Reference powerlink for C-J,API and Luna.
I reviewed the full compliment of Anaconda power chords, hydra, aries and pheonix for Ultraaudio.com Check out the review. I loved the aries. Afordable, flexible, and really clean, natural, and open sounding. You cannot go wrong with them. Greg