Granite Under Speakers Over A Wood Floor

I would Like to use something over my wood floor that would not scratch it like the spikes do. I remember seeing sonus farber speakers on granite blocks. Does anyone have any experience with this? How would this sound?
128x128fleone
the folks at avalon acoustics recommend using marble about 1" thick or less & cut 4" wider and deeper than the speaker's footprint (this for the opus, which has an active down-firing woofer and bottom port). they also advise the use of supplied spikes for decoupling. this notion apparently came from an avolon owner who lives in a nyc loft that has wooden floors; he cut out the wood beneath his speakers and replaced it with marble. now that's a true audiophile!
I found the perfect place for my speaker and cut a hole out directly beneath them. Then I had a contractor come out and dig a hole under my house deep enough to get beneath the frost line so when the ground froze the concrete post beneath the speakers wouldn't move up and move the tweeter height. The wife sued for divorce and got the house and out of spite got the judge to award the the speakers because they covered up the concrete columns. Aint life a bitch..sookjustkiddingfolkshehe
I will not venture to say these work better or worse than a marble slab, but, you can get various kinds of floor protectors. These are available in a myriad of materials from lots of dealers. I use Tip-toes. The good news on these is that you can easily move the speakers to adjust toe-in, etc.
I'd recommend trying coins first. It should cost somewhere between $.06 and $2.00, depending on the coin and the amount of spikes. Although, I hear that old Spanish doubloons are eerily transparent and sublimely musical. :-)