Good speakers in the sub-$1K range

I have a corporate apartment that I use during the week, and I've brought up some spare equipment that I wasn't using at home anymore. I have a Pioneer PD65/Lafayette tube pre/Eico HF89 Tube (50W Ultralinear)/Kimber Kable. Right now, I have a pair of B&W 2002's, and they just don't compare to what I'm used to at home (Mirage M5si's/Adcom 555II). I've searched the net, and seen what I think are some good speakers at reasonable prices, ie, Monitor Audio 702's for $750, pair of Spica TC-60's at $450, pair of Linn Nexus for somewhere in the $500 range (I think), and I noticed a pair of Snell C's for $750 on the auction list of this page. I mostly listen to classical and Jazz, but I do throw Jane's Addiction in there on occation. Any advice?
rmt37
<< I have a corporate apartment that I use during the week, and I've brought up some spare equipment that I wasn't using at home anymore. I have a Pioneer PD65/Lafayette tube pre/Eico HF89 Tube (50W Ultralinear)/Kimber Kable. Right now, I have a pair of B&W 2002's, and they just don't compare to what I'm used to at home (Mirage M5si's/Adcom 555II). I've searched the net, and seen what I think are some good speakers at reasonable prices, ie, Monitor Audio 702's for $750, pair of Spica TC-60's at $450, pair of Linn Nexus for somewhere in the $500 range (I think), and I noticed a pair of Snell C's for $750 on the auction list of this page. I mostly listen to classical and Jazz, but I do throw Jane's Addiction in there on occation. Any advice? >> I just got rid of some B&W CDM1's and bought CDM7se's the 7's are better suited for home theater and music but I really liked the 1's particularly on jazz. New they are about $1100 you may be able to find floor models for about $950
I have the perfect speaker for you! Brand new they are a little over $500 and I have not personally heard anything under $2000 even come close to the sonic quality of this speaker (includes: Spica 60s, JMlabs Meganes, B&W 805s, NEAR 15s etc...). They are designed by Mr. Bill LeGall of Millersound and you can reach him at 215-412-7700. He is located just outside of Phila, PA and is a wonderful person to speak with. I personally own a pair for my bedroon and occasionally move them to the main system to shock my other audio buddies (my main speakers are a pair of Apogee Stages and some of my musician friends like the Millersounds better than my Stages!). You name it and these monitors do it. They are rated at 4ohms and are about 94db efficient (can play loud with very low powered tubes) If you have any other questions about these speakers pleas feel free to e-mail me or call me at (814)867-8440. You will be thanking me! These are not very well known for there is only a limited production of them but they are well worth the trouble! Take care and enjoy, -Donnn S. Wagner
<< I have a corporate apartment that I use during the week, and I've brought up some spare equipment that I wasn't using at home anymore. I have a Pioneer PD65/Lafayette tube pre/Eico HF89 Tube (50W Ultralinear)/Kimber Kable. Right now, I have a pair of B&W 2002's, and they just don't compare to what I'm used to at home (Mirage M5si's/Adcom 555II). I've searched the net, and seen what I think are some good speakers at reasonable prices, ie, Monitor Audio 702's for $750, pair of Spica TC-60's at $450, pair of Linn Nexus for somewhere in the $500 range (I think), and I noticed a pair of Snell C's for $750 on the auction list of this page. I mostly listen to classical and Jazz, but I do throw Jane's Addiction in there on occation. Any advice? >>  Try a pair of AR H312,310,308, which can be mail ordered for 669, 459, and 336/pair. Find some place and listen to them, their efficient and in my opinion real bargains/ not too sweet, and not offensive, they just might do the trick. Loontoon
Hello. If you haven't already found speakers you should try the small Totem Model 1's retail $1595 which I can sell for around $1100. You can also look at the Micromega Minium MS-1's , I am not sure of the US retail but they are $795cnd and they sound great. Similar to the small ProAc's , I can sell those for $450US.