Gilmore Audio planars revealed

The Gilmore Audio speaker have finally been photographed for the world to see: Gilmore Audio

Disclaimer - I'm a dealer for the Gilmores, though at this point I'm still awaiting my first pair, as they haven't begun shipping yet.

The Gilmores push the edge of the envelope for planar technology in several areas. Innovations include an extremely thin (3 mil) Kapton diaphragm; bass extension to below 20 Hz; easy 8-ohm load combined with 92 dB efficiency (you can drive 'em with Atma-Sphere M-60's!); and maximum output level in the mid to upper 120's.

Designer Mark Gilmore is the webmaster of the Atma-Sphere Owner's Group website, as well as of the Sound Lab Owner's Group site. He's been around for a while, but this is his first commercial loudspeaker design (to the best of my knowledge).

I haven't heard 'em yet so can't comment on the sound (I know, that's all that really matters after all). I'm expecting a pair before the end of the year, and will post comments then.

Duke
audiokinesis
it's four days later and no response to questions and comments. it makes you wonder why, and how they're going to react when people ask the same things.
I really don't blame Sellerwith... for taking a break. I am beginning to feel sorry for him, like the poor bank loan officer in the Ditech TV ads.
if you want to feel sorry for sellerwith that's your choice but i don't, considering his self-assertiveness, his demeaning characterization of those who express doubts as "silly", and his lack of factual response to all technical questions and challenges. in my experience a customer is treated with kid gloves as a guest and is respected, and the seller is the one who has to earn respect. nobody "owes" the seller anything. quite to the contrary.
I've been out of town and/or very busy the past couple of weeks, so just now got back to this thread.

Sellerwithintegrity, I apologize for mistakenly typing "3 mil" as the thickness of the kapton diaphragms; of course it should have been ".3 mil".

Lugnut, just for the record, "Duke" and "Sellerwithintegrity" are different people - "Duke" posts under the Audiogon moniker "AudioKinesis", and over at the Asylum under "Duke". So please don't give me credit for "taking the heat" here - I wasn't even in the kitchen!

The reason for using a weak magnet/low Qts woofer in a dipole was well laid-out by Bob Carver years ago, and goes something like this: Dipole cancellation results in a 6 dB per octave rolloff in the bass region. This is in addition to the inherent shape of the woofer's response around resonance, as predicted by its Qts. If we use a woofer with a carefully chosen very high Qts (weak magnet) and appropriate resonant frequency, taking the baffle size and shape into account, then the natural response "hump" of the high-Qts woofer can compensate for that 6 dB per octave rolloff. The baffle shape and woofer parameters can be optimized together to approximate an ideal target response.

I would expect that at very low frequencies the output of the Gilmores is displacement-limited long before the approximately 2000 to 4000 watt peak thermal limit is reached, as predicted by the spreadsheet on Siegfried Linkwitz's site (mutual coupling between drivers and large vertical path length will give greater bass output than predicted by the driver area and baffle width alone, but by how much I cannot say). Most loudspeakers will displacement-limit at low frequencies well before their thermal limit is reached. For example, I've played around with JBL woofers that have a thermal power handling limit of 600 watts RMS, but are displacement-limited to less than 1/10th of that figure below 25 Hz in a vented enclosure. Nevertheless, JBL is in compliance with AES power rating conventions to claim a power handling capacity of 600 watts RMS (which would imply far greater power handling on peaks, though they don't specify the peak power figure).

The example given above of the "wave" in the football stadium is actually a transverse (or shear) wave, with particle motion perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation. Sound waves are pressure waves, and most importantly are set in motion by physical displacement of the air particles. The mass of the air displaced by the diaphragm movement can be calculated and compared to the mass of the diaphragm itself.

While I wasn't the one sitting in the hot seat this time around, I hope to be there one day. I've dreamed of bringing out my own loudspeaker for some time now, and will probably be disgustingly enthusiastic about it when that day finally comes. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to getting to know the Gilmores first-hand.

Best wishes,

Duke
Planar,

I'll take a shot at some of your questions, though I don't have answers for all of them.

1. horizontal dispersion. you say -3dB at 60 degrees dispersion (plus or minus 30 degrees, for those reading). At what frequency?

a: The horizontal radiation pattern will be the classic dipole figure-8 pattern at low frequencies, and will still be quite wide when we cross over to the ribbon (okay, technically planar magnetic) high frequency driver because its diaphragm is fairly narrow. It looks to me like the ribbon's diaphragm is maybe an inch and a half wide. The radiation pattern will become progressively more narrow with rising frequency, and will be about 60 degrees wide (-3 dB) at roughly 9 kHz. This estimate is based on an assumed diaphragm width of 1.5 inches.

2. vertical dispersion...

a: The vertical coverage at high frequencies will be effectively limited to the height of the diaphragm (with maybe a few degrees of vertical beam widening), and will be oriented perpendicular to the diaphragm plane. So by tilting the speaker back a bit, you improve the high frequency coverage within the listening area. Note that because the bass drivers are in a vertical line array, you won't have the height-dependent tonal balance phenomenon typical of point source woofer/line source planar hybrids, as long as your ear is within the ribbon's vertical "window".

3. comb filtering. you said, "Whatever comb filtering effect is created by our topology, it is less than anyone elses -- not more because of it." the accuracy of that statement is dubious, but that's beside the point. a full range line source has its element(s) aligned without timing anomalies. remember the old beveridge electrostat? before my time and it's been quite a while since hearing a pair, but that's a full range line source. some people might consider the gilmore to be planar.

a: I presume you are referring to horizontal comb-filtering caused by the vertical side-by-side driver configuration, in the crossover region. At the crossover frequency of 200 Hz, the woofers and ribbon are less than 1/4 wavelength apart. Any comb filter effects due to their lateral spacing will be of negligible significance. The Gilmores' approximation of a full range line source is pretty close, and in theory compares favorably with other commercial multi-driver line source approximations that I'm familiar with (Magnepan, Pipedreams, Wisdom Audio, Newform Research, Martin Logan hybrids). The Beveridge and Sound Lab single-driver line-source speakers of course have an inherent advantage in coherence over a multidriver speaker, but in practice a less than 1/4 wavelength offset is unlikely to be audible.

4. will post a followup on doppler distortion.

a: I do not know what the audibility thresholds for doppler distortion are at different frequencies. Paul Klipsch maintained that doppler distortion was quite audibly significant, and I have heard full-range single-driver loudspeakers lose articulation on complex passages at high volume levels. Note that for a given sound pressure level air volume displacement must be quadrupled each time we go down one octave, so doppler distortion can be minimized by using very very large full range diaphragms (Sound Lab and Beveridge) or by using a multi-way system and choosing crossover frequencies that free the midrange and/or treble driver from long excursions at the anticipated loudness levels (accomplished by many, many manufacturers to a greater or lesser extent).

I have no comments on the binding post/crossover topic.

Of course I'm neither an engineer nor a Gilmore owner (at this point), so don't take my answers here as gospel or even attempted gospel. They're just my $.02 worth.

Best wishes,

Duke