Gallo Reference III midrange COOKED

They were purchased new from a dealer in 2007. I'm using an all PS Audio system (except for a Denon multi-player for a transport). I Was using a p300 power plant till about a month ago I purchased a Power Plant Premier here at Audiogon. Two weeks later the midrange drivers in both speakers are gone. They have since been to the factory for repair and returned. Repair wasn't covered by warranty. They said if the speaker was defective it would have already blown during the first three months.

My system:

Trio P200 pre amp

Digital Link III D/A converter (with Cullen Circuits level 3 mod)

GCA 250 Power amp

Power Plant Premier

The speakers are rated a 350 watts; but my PS Audio 250 watt amp cooked the midrange drivers in both speakers. Go figure...

Just wondering if anyone else out there may have had the same or similar problem?
128x128be_godwin
I'm always open to advice. I was getting at the fact that many speakers can handle their wattage ratings with ease if the signal in is clean and undistorted. However, as hinted at above, a 20 watt receiver that is pushed way past its limits can do more damage than a 200 watt amp that is not being pushed hard. (ie both are trying to put out 100 wpc?)
I blew three of four mid drivers from using my 3.1s for karaoke. The first year I used them there were no problems. No such luck the second year. Gallo did not cover them under the warranty. I understood why. It was my fault. The defect did not lie with Gallo.

They reminded me that they repair manufacturing defects, and if the amp is the problem, then it is not a manufacturing defect. My first Gallo sub-amp kept blowing fuses after about two months, and they promptly replaced the unit.

I will say that my repairs were very quickly returned, but I am not sure any manufactuer's warranty covers every calamity to the product.
I blew three of four mid drivers from using my 3.1s for karaoke.

That would do it - live music (someone singing into a mike) has HUGE dynamic range and clearly this speaker is not designed to handle that. You need either pro studio gear or a heavy duty robust PA type speaker for that.
My party guests still laugh about it to this day. Three of the drivers let out a puff of smoke. I still don't see the humor, but I guess sense of humor differ. I now have PA speakers that I run through the home theater system.