FYI: VPI HW-19 motors

Hi

Don't know if it's old news or not...

If anybody needs an older VPI HW-19 motor, they are available directly from the manufacturer, Hurst Motors, in Indiana.
markshvarts
VPI Motor

I've had this bookmarked for many years and have bought quite a few over the years.
The Hurst 600 rpm motor that VPI now sells as a replacement for the HW-19 is the SP-3923 and not the 600 rpm 3203-001. The SP-3923 is special ordered by VPI, which Hurst does not sell direct to the public. You can only buy it from VPI. I believe it's the same 600 rpm motor that is used in the Classic. My HW-19 came with a 3203-001 and it was very loud. I could hear motor hum in the audio signal. I bought the SP-3923 direct from VPI and it is MUCH more quiet. I built a custom SAMA and now the motor noise can't even be heard on the HW-19 plinth with a stethoscope.

IMHO it's worth every penny to buy the right motor from VPI.

-Robert (not affiliated with VPI whatsoever, just passing on the info)
Robert...thanks for your thoughts. I have bought probably
9-10 of the 3203-001 motors direct from Hurst over the past
25 years or so.

I was a VPI dealer for many, many years and have set up well
over 200 HW-19 tables. I have personally owned over 50 HW-
19 tables and still have several.

I have never had a faulty replacement motor from
Hurst...ever. All have been quiet and performed perfectly.
Maybe you just got bad one?

I haven't tried or used one of the newer model (SP-3923), so
I can't say whether it's better or not.
Mofimadness--I bought a VPI HW19II with an SME IV arm in 1989 (I think). I started listening to it again after a hiatus and replaced the belt, oiled the bearing, replaced the original van den hul cable with a cable from ZU audio (trying to work on RFI), and a Dynavector 10x5. I use a PS Audio GCPH and, with 8 transmission towers nearby, I can't use tubes. Curious as to whether you have any recommendations to improve the sound of my vinyl setup. I think it sounds pretty good but I would prefer wonderful! Thanks. Bob