FM Reception question, please

I have a Pioneer TX 9500 II tuner and have it hooked up to that antenna that is a wire shaped like a "T". Reception is farly good but I thought that I could improve it with an indoor antenna designed specifically for FM. Needless to say, I bought the top of the line Terk amplified indoor antenna and found that my signal was roughly half as good as copared to the wire. I tried alternate positioning and different gain settings to no avail. What gives? Do I have to go to an outdoor antenna to get better reception? Thanks for your interest.
128x128pugstub
inp that may be stretching things just a bit, but the quality of your downlead coax cable will in fact influence the Q of your received signal. Quad shielded RG-6 coax (available from Radio Shack) is typically the preferred approach.
Antenna Performance in East Hartford CT has a great FM antenna. I went to Radio Shack first, which was certainly good, and the rotor is a good idea. But you need to go to the attic or outdoor route, roof or tall pole.
I have created an antenna that works rather well. I purchased an inexpensive automotive fm antenna and modified the end by soldering in a R59 cable connector that just screws into my receiver. Works rather well. Better than the "T" wire and much more attractive. I have mine positioned on the side of my TV and it's hardly noticeable.
Give it a try. Materials cost under $10.
Does anyone have any advise on a good FM Antenna for North San Diego County? Specifically Carlsbad. I would like to pick up LA FM stations. Will the Magnum Dynalab ST2 do it? Thanks!
101charley, you might visit www.titantv.com or www.antennaweb.org. Their interactive antenna selection guides let you find a good antenna for any street address in the USA, and even for different mounting locations at that address. Since the entire FM radio band resides between TV channels 5 & 6, any VHF television antenna will perform equally well for FM radio.