Floor Standers Vs. Book Shelf Speakers

Hello, I'm new to the audiophile world. Anyways, I've spent the better part of the last couple of weeks researching different models of speakers on the net before I audition them.
I've seen many rave reviews on very tiny book shelf speakers, and I'm curious as to how such a diminutive speaker can stack up musically against an imposing floor stander? It just seems like a floor stander would give you more base extension, bigger soundstage. So, do book shelf speakers superior to floor standers in any way?

Also, what do you guys prefer and why? Thanks so much for all your great help
bobrouse
Guys, thanks a lot for your responses!! Anyways, I'm going to have my setup in a 12X16 room. As far as my preference for music, I tend to listen to music that has a fast tempo like Blues, soul, rock etc...Also, I like to listen to my music at moderate to high listening levels. So, what do you guys suggest as far as speakers go? Thanks a lot!
Steve
Again, what will be the associated equipment (amplifier, CD player, etc..) and what's your budget?
Sorry for leaving out that information. I'm going to be driving the speakers with a Roksan Kandy integrated and a Sony CA9ES CD player. I'd like the speakers to cost <1,000 and I will also consider buying used, thanks!!
Jamma, my room is the same size as yours, and I'm also using an integrated amp. A Sim Audio Moon I-5 to be specific. I've never tried floorstanders in my room, only Sonus Faber Concertinos and ProAc Tablette 50 Signatures. At 70WPC, the I-5 powers either of these speakers with ease, and I'm sure you'd have equally good results with the Roksan. I run the little fellars full-range and use an NHT SW3P subwoofer to fill out the bottom end. I've worked hard to get my little system to where it is, and I'm really enjoying it now. I feel no need to upgrade to floor-standers. What kind of music do you listen to?
Ooops, sorry. I didn't see your previous post "I tend to listen to music that has a fast tempo like Blues, soul, rock etc..." Good luck.