Floor Standers Vs. Book Shelf Speakers

Hello, I'm new to the audiophile world. Anyways, I've spent the better part of the last couple of weeks researching different models of speakers on the net before I audition them.
I've seen many rave reviews on very tiny book shelf speakers, and I'm curious as to how such a diminutive speaker can stack up musically against an imposing floor stander? It just seems like a floor stander would give you more base extension, bigger soundstage. So, do book shelf speakers superior to floor standers in any way?

Also, what do you guys prefer and why? Thanks so much for all your great help
bobrouse
There are a couple of downsides to smaller "book shelf" or monitor style speakers. In order to get the most from them you need quality stands, adding several hundred dollars or more to the cost. Secondly, monitors tend to be a little bass-shy so if you're looking for deep bass extension you'll likely require a sub woofer as well. Advantages of monitors? They tend to image like crazy, are more precise, tend to suffer less from cabinet resonance, take up far less space, and on average cost less than floor-standers do. There are trade offs to both syles of speaker, but the monitors are easier to tweak during set up (moving 200lb floorstanders around isn't easy), and again can be complimented with a subwoofer if you so choose. I've owned all kinds of speakers, depending on the rest of your gear, the music styles you prefer (monitors don't do Heavy Metal quite as well) and your budget, you can have a very satisfying set-up using either. If you were to tell us more about the room you intend to set up your system in, your musical preferences, the associated gear you have (or will likely acquire) and your budget for speakers, we can provide more specific advice. Welcome to the hobby, enjoy the music! Jeff
You said it well, Jeff! I'll simply add that a great 6.5" two-way is generally FAR preferable to an average larger 3-way at the same price-point. There's nothing worse than sloppy, incoherent, boomy-bass from poor driver integration or improper room-loading. I'd suggest you try a fine two-way whose midrange and dynamics you really like IN YOUR ROOM, and then much later on see if you can successfully integrate a separate subwoofer or a 3-way. You're apt to have an easier time achieving success if you keep it simple
initially. Good Luck!
Guys, thanks a lot for your responses!! Anyways, I'm going to have my setup in a 12X16 room. As far as my preference for music, I tend to listen to music that has a fast tempo like Blues, soul, rock etc...Also, I like to listen to my music at moderate to high listening levels. So, what do you guys suggest as far as speakers go? Thanks a lot!
Steve
Again, what will be the associated equipment (amplifier, CD player, etc..) and what's your budget?
Sorry for leaving out that information. I'm going to be driving the speakers with a Roksan Kandy integrated and a Sony CA9ES CD player. I'd like the speakers to cost <1,000 and I will also consider buying used, thanks!!