Experience with Raul's Essential 3150

Here are my comments on the listening session I had with Raul and his Essential 3150 Full Function Preamplifier.

Firstly, I would like to thank Raul. He is a very knowledgeable and kind gentleman. He has years and years of experience in music and analog systems. My respect for him is in another league after his visit. Some times his post opinions may seem controversial, but I think he knows what he’s talking about. Remember. Respect your elders…they have more experience.

Raul and Jose’s preamp is a seriously built unit!!! It has a separate power supply and the total weight of the two units is close to 50lbs. Very heavy, well shielded frame. Raul opened up the preamp and pointed out the level and quality of the parts. Vishay resistors, V-Caps, etc. This preamp is completely solid state and made with the finest parts and the inside does not look garage shop at all. It is impressive looking. His design is fully balanced from input to output. It included 2 SE line inputs, 2 balanced line inputs and 2 sets of phono inputs, both SE and balanced. It has a separate left and right volume control as well. The preamp is 12 years in the making and uses some interesting proprietary techniques. According to Raul, the distortion and frequency linearity is orders of magnitude better than just about all the other equipment out there.

We compared the music we were hearing using either his preamp or my CAT Ultimate MkII preamp. Since I had to create space in my rack, I removed my CD player. Therefore, we only listened to my analog system. I wish this were not the case because it would also have been good to compare line stages.

We listened to a few records: Miles Davis-Kind of Blue, Sade-Stronger than Pride, Steve Miller-Fly Like an Eagle, Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon, and various classical selections. The most clear and obvious differences were bass response, transparency/detail and sound staging.

Music with the Essential had INCREDIBLE bass and midbass. Much, much better than listening through the CAT. It is extended, articulate and not attenuated the least bit. This improved the fullness and impact of the presentation greatly. It is quite amazing that my Analog system has bass potential that I was not even getting close to with the CAT. This alone has me seriously considering buying his unit.

As you would expect from fine solid state, the music had fine detail and transparency was at a higher level than you would expect with tubes. In this regard it was better than the CAT. Due to the transparency, the soundstage depth and width was very apparent. Dynamics were also very good.

In the mids to highs, music through the CAT had a richer and more immediate quality. Brass sounded brassier with the CAT than through the Essential. In comparison, music through the Essential had a detailed but lean, soft and relaxed presentation compared to the CAT. It comes down to which is more correct, which has a coloration and what does one prefer. Also, the Essential has some trim pots that allow extension or attenuation of frequencies above 20KHz. Raul believes that this observation would have been ameliorated by extending the frequencies.

Through both preamps, we heard slightly tipped up high frequencies in my system that Raul believes is not a function of either preamp. The most likely culprit is the frequency balance of the speakers or room acoustics. Therefore, I may need to address this problem first. Nonetheless, you can’t go wrong with the Essential 3150. It really is like a tool.

The other thing I will try is replacing the tubes in the preamp. They are about two years old and have been used extensively. Ken Stevens from CAT believes that this will improve the level of the bass, articulation and transparency across the entire frequency range. It will be interesting to rehear some of the tracks we played after this. I also would like the chance to try the Essential for a week instead of the 5-6 hours we took as well as compare the line stage performance.

Overall, the Essential 3150 is a seriously good preamp and is probably better than most commercial solid state and tube units. If you have a chance, give it a try. In my case, I’ll first try addressing the speakers, seeing if the new tubes make a difference and hopefully spending more time with the unit.

Andrew
aoliviero
I visited Raul this week to listen to the latest version of the Essential preamp.
When we got there he was playing the Dynavector XV1 cartridge through a SAEC arm.
The first impression was of clarity, everything seemed very transparent airy highs well defined bass all was there but I little bit more cohesive than I remember from my prior visits, the sound was better integrated.
Raul was, as always, a very good host, and very knowledgeable. He is the most driven Audio fanatic I have met and it is good to talk about audio with someone so passionate about it. We also discussed about the local Concert season and the best Directors.
After some listening I noticed that the system was a bit more mellow than it used to be, while still vibrant there is no listeners fatigue, we played a lot of Jazz (Duke Ellington and crowd) and the music was just alive, but still warm. We asked him to switch to the Van den Hull Colibri (his secret favorite) cartridge and he explained he got it set up in a Sumiko arm he had stored for some years and when he tried it he loved the combination it does with the Colibri. What impressed me the most about the preamp is we never talked about it after the first conversation of his recent trip. I remembered the preamp when the first notes from the Colibri started to flow, it was like switching from CD to Vinyl, Lou Armstrong´s voice had amazing detail I could see his mouth move, we could feel his chest resonate and all the instruments came into the room. This being said it did sound a little thin with Holst´s Planets.
This is how you notice if the preamp is doing its job, it lets the signal go through whatever you feed into it, he did inform us when we arrived that he was still setting up the VTA on the Dynavector cartridge, but the brilliance and liveliness of the Colibri are its trademarks. We then started talking about the preamp and he told us of the endless listening test he has run comparing the preamp to a resistor load until sound wise you could not tell one from the other, he also run a lot of comparison tests with most reference phono preamps and I can vouch for his access to them, (yes FM acoustics was on the list). Another friend who is a tube preamp designer had a technical conversation with him that ended with talk about subwoofer integration; he later told me how impressed he was with the current design. I asked him if he would make a bigger version with double power supplies but it is not on the drawing board.

Congratulations Raul!

PS: I am not connected to the company in any way.
Hi Raul- Sorry I missed you in CT. Maybe my ;~) doesn't translate too well. Just joking. Trip 2, not Mark 2 perhaps more likely. I just would have loved to hear it!!! But as much as we love our music and our gear (c'mon, admit that the toys are fun to play with) my family comes first and we had had an important trip planned for some time. Anyways, if I have to wait years for the Mark 2, I'd still love to hear it.
I have know Raul for some time and have always considered him as the person to go whenever I had a problem or wanted questions answered about analog systems.
I have heard in the past Raul system and have always considered it as a very good one but without that “thing” that made it something extraordinary or special.
I listen at home on a Dynavector VX1 plus a Halcro DM10 plus a Pass like class A Amp coupled to ORIS horns with AER’s . I love my system and after listened to many other systems I found it very difficult to contemplate changing anything in my gear.
I must say the the HALCRO made a large change when it was connected in the chain.

Well now comes the story

I went to Raul’s house to talk about some mods in my turntable cables and after our conversation he told if I wanted to hear his new preamp.

I was in a hurry and tried to escape but he was insistent and I could not go.

He had changed his preamplifier and explained to me that he had finally finished his project after some years work.

The preamp looked good.

As I have said I was in a hurry and had to leave.

After 5 hours listening to all kind of music I still was not ready to go.

What I heard was the BEST system in my life. And having been a hi-end audio distributor in Mexico in the past, I have heard a LOT.

The music coming from the stage was pure, real and with an air that I could swear it was there. The feeling of intimacy and the sheer reality of instruments, voices and spatial correctness was amazing.

I had to do it. We took ( I forgot all my hurries) the preamp to my house to try it because I was (hoping) that it will do nothing better than my Halcro and what I was hearing was just a lucky ( a very, very lucky) marriage of elements in Raul’s system.

Sorry to say ( because now I am 10K$ poorer than before) that the change was monumental. All I heard before in my system improved so much that I was amazed to say the least. Everything I liked in my system was increased many times and the music became just that MUSIC. I am getting the Essential in a few weeks.

If you have a good analog system please try the Essential . You will find it will be worth the try.

Guillermo Conde
Gconde and fellow Audiogoners:
I was also at Raul,s place 3 days ago, this was my second visit to him being last time 2 years ago. I definetly heard an improvment in his new preamp from his previous battery power supply prototype. As mentioned above yes i agree is more transparent and without brightness, its just an open window. While i don,t want to go on and on with reviewer type of adjectives that have been mentioned before i do want to mention that i was also extremly impressed with its MM phono section. When I asked Raul about vintage vs new cartridges. He imediatly put another arm on the same record (Clark Terry) with a vintage MM cartridge(can,t remember the model). I couldn,t believe how musical and correct it was sounding even compared to the top of the line Dynavector we were hearing before. He told me that while new MC,s are better now its not the same case with newer MM,s, and that the only thing that has improved in MM,s is that we have now beeter MM designed phonostages being the 3150 essential MM a strong advocate into that.
Gconde: congratulations on your newly ordered 3150, the thing is a beast!...
Raul: Thank you so much for your hospitality and your unintrested willingness to share your music and analog passion with me.
BTW i was also accompanied by a dealer friend of mine who is the Mexican importer for Jadis,Harmonix,Gryphon and many top high-end brands,..he was equally impressed and had a great time too.
Dear Brizonbiovisier: Yes, with the FM 222 along the FM 255/266.

Very good units but I prefer the whole Essential 3150 performance. As a fact the FM Acoustics was one of our test bench standard for performance against our Essential design.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.