Equalizer in a Hi Fi system

Just curious to hear everyone’s opinions on using an equalizer in a high end hi fi system. Was at work tonight and killing time and came across a Schitt Loki max $1500 Equalizer with some very good reviews. What are some of the pros / Benefits and cons in using one. Just curious. BTW. I’m talking about a top of the line. Hi end equalizer. Mostly to calm some high frequencies and some bad recordings. 

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman

@tlcocks 

No, I do not use a professional EQ in my home 2-ch system.  I have used EQ units (together with several other processors), principally in a recording studio setup, where any "processing effect", can be routed through a patch bay, and be inserted into a signal path.  Of course the studio setting is very different from a home set-up.  In the studio, the "raw" talent sources are always unique/different, so the engineer will select as necessary whatever processing my be required.  This is totally different from the playback of commercially (finished) mastered (analog or digital) music on our home systems.  It's the mastering engineer's job to produce masters that will be highly listenable on MANY different systems.  Whether your system can get the maximum sonic results out of the mastering engineers efforts is dependent on the synergy of the gear choices you make.  As you know, theoretically, if you have well matched speakers, amps, preamp, sources, and even cables, you should be able to experience the result the mastering engineer intended in a sonically pleasing fashion.      

Yes, agreed to all. But I love having hi fi tone controls. I have learned in my experimentation with many different pro EQ’s that some certainly are more appropriate in post production playback than others. I think the less complex EQ coupled with good circuit design and quality parts can lead to a very musical and gratifying listening experience. While more complex instruments with more functions and more filters can be too clinical or analytical. My next steps in my hi fi evolution are trying room corrective digital EQ as I’ve previously mentioned, but at least as important, upgrading speaker cable or even speakers and streaming sources to provide the higher fidelity foundation BEFORE any EQ is dialed in. Luckily, I have had for a while now a SQ that I’m really into in a big way.